Which breed should I hatch?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken.Lytle, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to hatch eggs that meet the following criteria:
    * colorful
    * sale-able for hatching
    * delicious

I have a handle on the first bit and that last bit, but what would BYCer's want to buy? Show-quality lines? Rare breeds?

What do you think?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Everybody loves a SQ anything! [​IMG] We also love the rare breeds, but of GOOD quality. [​IMG]

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We're doing our first hatch which is 5 mixed breed eggs, two EEs, and 5 sebright eggs in there which I am pleased to say are ALL developing beautifully. My friend has two silver sebright roos and a few hens that are both silver and gold sebrights, who laid these eggs. I am sooo excited, and these are probably the only ones from this hatch that we'll end up keeping. We have two beautiful creamy-minty-green EE eggs in there that were laid by two really beautiful hens and sired by a gorgeous EE rooster, so we may end up keeping one of those if it's a pullet.

There are a lot of great birds that will meet your qualifications. We have a good flock that lays a colorful basket of eggs but could use another blue egg layer. Hatching out the birds we want is gonna be a TON more fun than going and seeing what chicks just came in at the feed store (though that, too, is a fun activity LOL).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Black Copper Marans. . . ?

The eggs are gorgeous, they're big, they're delicious too, and the birds aren't too common, on high demand, and the biggest thing we Marans people need is another breeder who works on the SOP, too. Too few do, and too many only breed for dark eggs.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was hoping you would chime in. [​IMG]

Where can I learn more about the SOP for the various types of Marans. I know enough to avoid the big hatcheries, but I am not familiar with the quality breeders yet. This is exactly the sort of breeder I would like to be, just not so sure about actually showing them.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, they're not APA recognized yet, so it's mainly a proposed standard type thing. You can show them, but not much. Personally I haven't shown any of mine yet because I honestly don't even know if I can at our state shows. . . One is APA sanctioned, but I've never heard of Marans being there. . . [​IMG]

If you look at threads like the Black Copper Marans thread, they talk about the standard for the color often, and if you go to Marans Clubs websites they tell of the standard for all Marans and also the standard for each color.

7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    If it were me I would go for - Cream Legbars.
    For a lot of reasons. They are very rare in the USA, they are a recognised rare breed bird. Beautiful Roos!!!!!! though they can be a bit on the loud side. The hens are a bit less colourful but lovely and lay beautiful blue eggs that are easily sold here in uk! not sure about over there!

The good thing is that you can tell the sex of the chick as soon as they are hatched ( true Autosexing breed ) so you don;t have to waist feed , time and effort on unwanted roos.

You can show them if you want!!!!

Here is a link or two for you to look at. - I know you can get Cream Legbars in the USA as one of the threads had the place on it but I can;t remember it - sorry I am sure you could get it though if you did a search.

http://poultrykeeper.com/legbar/legbar-photos/cream-legbar.html
    http://www.legbars.co.uk/creamlegbar.html
    http://creamlegbar.co.uk/

OK FOUND THE LINK TO GET THEM IN USA - COPIED THIS OFF ANOTHER THREAD!!!!!!!!

Illia wrote:

We don't have ANY Legbars here. wink

Not true, I have seen several posts that Green fire Farms (sp?) has imported Cream Legbars from the UK somewhere, maybe Scotland I think...should have eggs for sale in 2011...so I have heard.
    Alot of folks here waiting !

http://greenfirefarms.com/new/ oh they have so many nice birds !!!!!love
    Dang, if only I could win the lottery !lol

Last edited by Chickielady (11/24/2010 2:08 am)

Oesdog
    2nd choice is the Maran of course - I have a cuckoo Maran and she is adorable!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Saying Legbars are available because of Greenfire Farms is saying Chocolate Orpingtons are available because of them. . . [​IMG] We've yet to see any proof so far, just images from the original breeder, and it may take quite a while before they're available to us, and they're likely to go for over $1000 a "juvenile pair"

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    all Chickens taste good with bbq sauce on 'em.

10. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:They are giving them away here free!!!!! - I just gave my Rooster away to a petting farm free cause no one will pay for them here. I just know that place Greenfire farms - was the only one that did them in the USA. Maybe they do have them there and if the OP wants them then its up to them to make that choice no one elses! [​IMG] After all it would be their money right ! [​IMG]

No one is saying they can't choose another breed and Marans are great birds too! Its my preferance and that is what we were asked to add. [​IMG]
    It isn;t a contest - just a few ideas from folk who genuinely are interested in helping find the op some options. I don;t think money should be something others should get involved in that is up to the OP what they want to spend. The OP never gave a financial limit and here as I said you can get the genuine free cause no one really cares much here about rare breeds thats why I gave mine to a rare breed wild fowl and chicken farm. - Or he would have ended up dead cause folk here really don;t care about the cost or what they are!!!!!! The other advantage of course is that ( If these birds are that expensive in the US ) if the OP did manage to get hold of a breeding pair they could sell the hatching eggs on for a profit over in the USA. Which I understand to be one of the criteria they mentioned?

[​IMG]

Oesdog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by