Which breed? Sooo many options from which to choose

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by samouw, Mar 1, 2012.

1. samouw

samouw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    I have a small flock of 13... well, 14 if you include Curly Sue the house chicken...of RIRs and Barred Rock. My rooster is a RIR, but he is going away soon. He has attacked me and my husband and we've decided not to keep him.

I also would like to replace a few of my smaller RIR's and maybe one or two of my Barred Rocks. My primary criteria are: Must be dual purpose birds and must be somewhat broody. Neither of the RIRs or Barred Rocks are broody at all and I would like to raise some baby chicks.

I will need a replacement rooster, but not another RIR. I have heard that Barred Rock Roosters are mean and I don't want another mean rooster (we have gone through three RIR roosters who were mean), so temperament is important. I love the Speckled Sussex, but know nothing about them as far as temperament or breeding. Would they be a good choice in a mixed flock?

What would be my best choice for my replacement hens? Speckled Sussex again or something else?

I am in Aiken, SC, so cold hardy is not as important.

So...looking for advice from all you chicken experts out there. :)

2. samouw

Mar 19, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    I want to change above post. I have been looking through the EE thread and I love them! Sooo beautiful.

So, what rooster should I get to get some beautiful EE chicks from my RIRs and BRs? And what other hen should I get?

I really love the beautiful EE's with the red and gold and black coloring. so striking!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, just as a little info - Rocks and Reds normally can go broody, just not the common production-bred strains people find from hatcheries and feedstores. Both in production strains can indeed be aggressive in males.

Easter Eggers are, though, another breed who aren't known very well for going broody unless you get "homemade" ones. (crosses done by breeders not hatcheries) Ones not bred from production strain crossing.

That said, best thing to do if you want to continue breeding pretty EE's best get an EE rooster and breed him either to more EE's or another flashy and generally friendly breed, but if you want broodiness, either A) stick with something like Orpingtons or B) avoid hatchery stock. Try and look for breeds like Wheaten Marans, true Ameraucanas, Welsummers, the related sort, to keep the color and good temperament. Also, true Ameraucanas and Marans are known to go broody. If you're lucky to find real ones, Araucanas are a perfect fit. (come in flashy colors like EE's, go broody a LOT, are always friendly, lay beautiful blue eggs, can make EE's)

4. samouw

Mar 19, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    Then I want a true Ameracauna Rooster. So, next question - where can i find one?

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    A True Ameraucana Roo would be good for a flock like that! I would look in the Ameraucana Thread and post stating that you are looking for a Roo for your flock! Craigslist is an option but generally most people claim that they have Ameraucanas,Araucanas, or Americanas but are EE's from hatcheries. If you ever see someone advertizing Amer"i"canas they are EE's. Good luck on your search!

One of my Buff Orps is becoming Broody along with a young O Shamo Hen. I think I might let the Shamo Hen sit! I generally discourage Broodies but I might make an exception! I am pretty new with Oriental Fowl. Illia, have you had a broody Shamo? Are they good mothers?

Nate

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Broody Shamo? Sure thing! Good mother? Little experience, but, to an extent. I had a terrible suddenly chick-craving cat who was able to steal and devour about six chicks from the hen, is that considered a good mother? [​IMG] She learned to be more defensive after that though but honestly I think a big reason she wasn't so skilled and instinctual is that she's lived a pretty spoiled, non-predator, non-other hens around kind of life.

True Ameraucana roosters can be found from breeders. Like said you can try looking through the Ameraucana Breeders club listing and contact local breeders, or you can look around Craigslist for some (but avoid people who spell the name wrong, don't know the difference between an Ameraucana and an Easter Egger, or who mention their source being a hatchery/feedstore) and another option is looking for your state's thread in the Where am I? Where are you? Section and ask there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by