1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Breed To Get?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MAYNARD1, Dec 2, 2010.

1. MAYNARD1

MAYNARD1 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    im looking to get some good sized birds that i can sell to the community as meat but also to some of the hunt clubs around here. i figured the georgia giants were a good choice. and they are hard to come by around here. i know the butlers are bigger but is that something to consider? will hunt clubs buy those? or do people just sell for butcher? just trying to get an overall bird to try to make some money and put in the freezer. right now i have the cortunix but they are too small. i used to raise wisconsin jumbos, but im trying to do something alittle different than everyone else in my town. anyway if you have suggestions please dont be shy. thanks:) also do you know where i can get the eggs for around .35 - .50?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Release Of Pen Raised Bobs Is A Specialty And Highly Conrolled In Florida-- Without State Oversight It Is Illegal. In General Unless Raised Properly You Might As Well Pull Them Out Of The Pen With 1 Hand, And Toss Them Into The Air, And Shoot With The Other--- They Live Just About As Long As Releasing Them To The Wild. Even When Done Properly The Sucess Rate On Pen Raised Bobs Released Into The Wild Is Pretty Deplorable.

Once Word Gets Out That You Have Meat Bobs You'll Likely Be Busy Enough Raising What You Can Sell- They Will Go Pretty Fast In Most Cases.

3. MAYNARD1

MAYNARD1 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    10 4 Maybe Ill Make A Quarter Selling Meat Birds. I Had An Idea What If I Went In The Flight Pen 18' X 30', And Just Whooped And Hollared And Swatted The Bushes In There To Scare Them, Would That Make Them More Flighty? Or Will They Kill Over? Just A Thought Yall Tell Me What You Think...

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Here alot are raised for release , but they use the smaller northern bobs, have to raise them in large pens. These are released on hunting ranger to be shot.

Now at one time I know Ohio DNR trap some wild native bobs, released them in huge flight pens, Auto feeder and water. so no human contact. can't remember how the young were raised , think the released bird back into the wild was still like 20% made it thru the first year.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ACTUALLY FOR FLIGHT RAISED RELEASE BIRDS THEY ARE RAISED WITH NO HUMAN CONTACT. RAISED IN MASSIVE FLIGHT PENS WITH PRIVACY SCREENING TO PREVENT VISUAL EXPOSURE, SECLUSION TO PREVENT AUDITORY EXPOSURE, ALL WORK NEEDED TO BIRDS AND PENS IS CARRIED OUT UNDER COVER OF NIGHTFALL... THE IDEA IS THE BIRDS DO NOT ASSOCIATE US WITH ANYTHING. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AS WILD AS POSSIBLE. SO YOUR TERRORIST THEORY KINDA DOESNT WORK [​IMG]. AS FAR AS FLIGHINESS... DONT WORRY ITS NATURAL BEHAVIOR FOR BOBS, THEY WONT NEED ANY TRAINING [​IMG] THE MAIN REASON MANY PRIVATE STOCKERS WANT SMALLER BOBS ISNT FLIGHTINESS, ITS FLIGHT ABILITY. THE SMALLER BIRDS ARE MORE AGILE FLIERS AND ABLE TO MAINTAOIN FLIGHT FOR LONGER PERIODS BEFORE TIRING... IF YOU WANT TO TURN IT LOOSE TO SHOOT YOU WANT IT TO BE ABLE TO SPEND THE MOST AMOUNT OF TIME IN SHOOTING POSSITION POSSIBLE...OTHERWISE SHOOTING IT IS MORE DIFFICULT (WE CANT SHOOT THEM ON THE GROUND, THAT WOULDNT BE SPORTING....YEAH LIKE PEN RAISING THEM AND DUMPIN THEM IN THE WILD KINGDOM SO YOUR DOG CAN SCARE THEM UP THE NEXT DAY IS?? [​IMG] --WHATEVER). ANYWAYS SEEMS IF A MAN PAYS TO SHOOT BIRDS HE ACTUALLY WANTS TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT BIRDS--- SO YOU WANT BIRDS THAT CAN SPEND THE MOST TIME IN THE SHOOTING POSITION.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by