Which breed to show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ameraucanacrazy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    Out of these bantam breeds which is easiest to show?
    1) orpingtons
    2) BLRW
    3) silver penciled rocks
    4) Cornish
    5) or Japanese
    Thanks,

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Show whichever of those breeds you love.

But, if you mean easy to show as in which is more likely to win, go with a solid colored bird with good type.

Win a few times, then start showing a breed that you love.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    you have to have a drive and passion for the breed in order to breed/show them. I would go with which ever one you like the best no matter what quality because you can always improve

4. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    Okay thanks [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It also depends where you mean to show. Most people claim to do well in shows just because it is a small time show with very few chickens, so naturally they can wind best of class, variety, breed, etc.

BLRW cannot go any further than variety ATM, as it is not a recognized color for Wyandottes. Also, even when they are recognized, there's a LOT of competition out there.

Cornish are really hard to show and win UNLESS you're showing at a small, local show where there aren't already plenty dedicated Cornish breeders. The thing with Cornish is that there's the bad ones (hatchery quality; most of them out there) and the really good ones.

Japanese, I have little knowledge with.

Silver Pencilled Rocks you won't do well with because they're extremely rare, so the chances of you getting good quality to begin with are slim. Otherwise, the best you'll do is best of variety, because Rocks are pretty popular and common anyway. There's bound to be someone better than you on your first few tries.

6. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    We almost always win our varieties and breeds at the shows we attend. We did manage to win reserve best light duck at the crossroads national in 2006 with a welsh harlequin, but I would say thats probably the best we've ever done, but with our breeds and varieties, we normally win, BB, RB, BV, RV, sometimes, best light duck, and have won champion bantam duck with grey Call drake, but that was several years ago...we don't even seriously breed the Calls anymore. It all depends on where you show and what other birds are entered. We don't show with the expectations of winning the show. The Nankins finally have two other exhibitors at the shows we've been too. I am so thrilled to finally see some other birds in those classes! Another breeder and I are working to hatch several young birds so we can have a meet at the labor day weekend show here before the Indy national. Probably won't have a large number of birds, (like more than 20) but it will be a start. You have to breed what you love and love what you show, otherwise, its no fun.
    K&S

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Illia, Wynette has the best LF SPPR that I know of.
    BTW thar is not true about best you will get is BV in 2008 Guy Roy won the whole northeastern poultry congress show with a SPPR bantam the best win for this variety in 100 years. Its not impossibe or easy you just have to breed them to the standard. http://www.poultrycongress.com/2008results.html
    punky

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Wynette has very good birds, yes, but she's also the only one I know of with SPPR's, which proves my point of rarity. I'm not counting bantams though, as I have little experience or knowledge (or interest) in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by