1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which breed to to keep?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Farmerboy16, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I am downsizing my flock, and trying to decide which of the long tails to keep for breeding. They are not mature, but I like them, Golden Phoenix, and red sh Yokohamas. Which is more rare, and needs help persevering?

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:the Yokahoma is probably the one in greatest need however you need to keep the one you like the best or it will be a job not a joy.

3. slamine

slamine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Quote:the Yokahoma is probably the one in greatest need however you need to keep the one you like the best or it will be a job not a joy.

I second that. Definitely go with the breed you find the most joy in keeping.

4. Farmerboy16

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I don't know. They are both pretty, I am thinking that the Phoenixes looks more colorful, but I like the looks of the Yokohamas tho. So, I will go with the Yokahomas. Thanks for the help. [​IMG] Does anyone have hatching eggs around mid-September? What I have are hatchery stock, and will have to cull them. [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah with the hatchery stock thing mentioned, I say go with what you love and what conforms to the SOP best. Preserving hatchery stock is not saving the breed, at least in my opinion. There is a guy on the forum, several in fact, who raise good Yokohamas. Show Quality Phoenixes honestly I see less of, even though they're claimed to be in less danger.

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:I agree, Illia.

7. FlChickie

FlChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Citrus County, Florida
    I'm also looking for SQ Red Shouldered Yokohamas, I love the breed and really want to have a good quality flock.

8. Farmerboy16

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Quote:I am still looking for some too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by