Which breed will stay in an open chain link fence?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tarahtt, Aug 24, 2014.

1. tarahtt

tarahtt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    SW Missouri
    Will these breeds remain in a chain linked fence? I'm looking at the Australorp, Favaucana, Wyandotte, and Barnevelder. My grandparents kept some years ago of a different breed, but I know some can jump a fence. They will have a coop as well, but I would like to let them free range when they can.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    How high is the chain link fence?

3. tarahtt

Feb 18, 2014
    SW Missouri
    Almost 4' tall.

4. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    If their wings aren't clipped, I think all of those breeds will be able to fly over a 4' fence. Have you ever thought about Silkies?

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The australorp is the least likely to fly over the fence but I agree with rocky Rhodes, all four breeds will likely fly over a four foot fence unless you clip one wing & even then some of them might get over the fence.

6. Rocky Rhodes

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
  7. Rocky Rhodes

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
  8. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    My Brahmas are the only breed I have that stay put! I've heard that Silkies are good for staying in fences as well.

9. tarahtt

Feb 18, 2014
    SW Missouri
    Thanks! I have thought about silkies before, but i have a big family and can't keep many birds so i was worried that the smaller eggs wouldn't feed as much as the medium/large. I didn't know they couldn't jump the fence though. My grandpa used to keep a bunch of red and black & white chickens in his back yard fence and never had a problem. I think they were barred rocks and rhode island reds.

I have clipped parakeet wings, i guess it shouldn't be too hard to clip chicken wings. Besides that i have never really handled a chicken before (newbie!)

10. mollybuck

mollybuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    WNY
    some of the larger orpingtons will stay put. i have wyandottes and BA, and I have seen both of those breeds clear a 6 foot fence... so i clipped the feathers on one side. my english orps havent even tried. in fact they dont even care to come out of the run when the gate is open to free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by