Which Breed Would Be Better?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Silver Bantam, Aug 3, 2014.

What Breed Do You Prefer?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2015.
  1. Mini Rex

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Jersey Woolie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (Please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Me and my sister have been wanting to start on another breed for some time, and I thought I would finally look into it a bit more. As lots of you will know, we are currently breeding Netherland Dwarfs.

I had originanlly though Jersey Woolies would be a good option for a second breed, but now Mini Rex's are starting to grow on me [​IMG] So I was wondering what you guys think would be a better option for us? I am open to any other breed ideas :)

Some more info:

The main market down here is pretty much for pet rabbits. So they have to have good temperament, and be a reasonably small breed.

I would like something that only we would be breeding in our area. The pet shop down here have ND's, Standard Rex, Mini Lops (Of course [​IMG] ), Dutch, and the usual adorable mutts etc.
    I am pretty sure the closest people to us who breed Jersey Woolies are about a two hour drive away- which most people around here would be unwilling to do. The closest Mini Rex breeder to us is around 9 hours drive away. I know this may seem like a problem for us in terms of actually getting our breeding stock, but we are going away this year so I would be able to get in some time looking at rabbitrys [​IMG]

Any help or advise is welcome!

2. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I would go with Mini Rex's, I love the luxurious coats and there would be a lot less shed hair to deal with.

3. So how are they temperament wise? I don't know to much about the breed, so am just trying to find out all I can before deciding

4. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I had Mini Rex's for a while several years ago and they were calm and easy to handle as long as you started handling them young. I purchased a few that had been used as breeders and had not been handled a lot and they were terrified of me, but the ones that we raised from babies and handled often were tame and gentle and would even come to the cage door to meet me.

5. Sounds pretty much like our NDs :) Thank you!

6. SternRose

SternRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    Go with Mini Rex's. they are sweet, calm and easy keepers. Coats haven't matted on me before( never groomed them) they are great moms. Another breed is the Dutch rabbit. They too are great natured, calm, laid back, sweet, greets you at the door. My buck is 5 and doesn't go more Thant 5ft away off leash. He even plays with our dogs. :)

7. Hmm, I will look into them some more. Let the excessive research begin!

To be honest, I really don't think we could do all the extra grooming and care it would take to properly look after a trio or more of JWs. We have friends who have three pet Standard rex, and I LOVE their plush soft coats :) What do you think of this advert? I quite like the Chocolate colour:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/rabbits-guinea-pigs/rabbits/auction-746265800.htm

8. SternRose

SternRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    Looks good. But remember they can't be siblings. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by