Which breed would you choose to keep??

BeachBumBiddies

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 18, 2010
FL
Hi all! I have moved back to FL & have very limited space. I have 3 breeds of chickens that I need to either sell or keep & I would like your opinion on this as I am having a hard time making up my mind. I am looking to sell hatching eggs & possibly chicks from these birds & would like to know which ones would be the most profitable, more than anything. So, here it goes...I have 3 pairs of Rees line Cream Legbars. They have their problems, mostly the cockerels having floppy combs. The pullets seem to be more typey. The best thing about this group is I have 3 pullets & 3 cockerels to choose from & they are from Greenfire Farms & a good imported line, so I should be able to sell eggs & chicks when it comes time, although there seems to be a LOT of people with Legbars now. I also have pair of Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. Both are very sweet & the pullet will follow me around the yard. Other than being sweet, you don't really see this color very often & both birds seem to have nice type. I'm not sure if they would be better than the Legbars for selling eggs or chicks though. Lastly, I have 2 Jubilee Orpington pullets. They are supposed to be Sacre/Greenfire lines & look pretty nice. I don't have a cockerel for them but can get one relatively cheap from a guy I know. The 2 pullets look nice enough but are not very friendly. I guess that doesn't matter if I just want them for eggs. all groups are just about at point of lay. Also, I am interested in, Tolbunt Polish, Silver Laced & Buff Laced Brahma & Silver Laced Orps, but don't have any-yet! Anyhow, which group would you choose?? Or would you just sell them all & buy one of the other breeds? Thanks for reading my giant thread & thanks in advance for your help!!! :)

They all sound amazing!

I have to say, I think Jubillees would be my favorite to buy. Orpingtons are always a hit and Jubilees are gorgeous. I find that my EE doesn't do too well in hot weather, and Ameraucanas are similar to EEs, in that they have small combs and thick feathers, though I'm sure they are gorgeous birds also.

I'm not sure if Polish or Brahmas do too well in hot weather either, because they don't have large combs, however, I live in an area that gets 100 F in the summer and -0 F in the winter, so I have to get breeds hardy in both weather.

It can be so hard to choose sometimes!

Best of luck.
smile.png

Thanks for the reply. I raise Brahmas & Cochins & it gets hot here as well, 95 degrees+. I always feel bad for them :/ Hopefully I can make up my mind. lol

I agree with GitaBooks; I would keep the Jubilee Orpingtons. Orpingtons are a superb all around breed anyway as they are hardy, friendly and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs; and Jubilees are an especially unusual and beautiful variety of Orpington.

Thanks for the input. I did get the Jubilee cock bird. He is beautiful but quite a bit bigger than my girls (he's older), so i am keeping him separate for the time being. Plus I always quarantine newcomers. I sold a pair of my Legbars on RBA, hoping to sell the other 2 pairs as well. Still thinking about keeping the Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas though. I just love the little female. I just don't know if I have the room. :/ Thanks again y'all!! :)

You can keep her as company for your Orpingtons. It will be easy to tell who's eggs are who's when it comes hatching time. And it would be fun to see what kinds of colors come out of the Jubilee/Ameraucana cross. Since she is pure Ameraucana, they will be guaranteed Easter Eggers, which are always in demand everywhere.

Thanks for the input. I did get the Jubilee cock bird. He is beautiful but quite a bit bigger than my girls (he's older), so i am keeping him separate for the time being. Plus I always quarantine newcomers. I sold a pair of my Legbars on RBA, hoping to sell the other 2 pairs as well. Still thinking about keeping the Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas though. I just love the little female. I just don't know if I have the room. :/ Thanks again y'all!! :)

You're welcome, and good luck with your flock. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom