Which breed??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yiddishe mama, Jan 16, 2009.

1. yiddishe mama

yiddishe mama New Egg

Jan 16, 2009
    Hello all

I would like your view on which breed would be best for our situation. My daughter is in 4H and she must select from 4 breeds
    Black Star, Red Star, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, for her 12 chickens for her project. They all seem like good layers but what about temperment? Do you think that they are basicly on the same par so just what ever she likes the look of? Oh they will be coming from Murry McMurry so you good folks might have more info about these breeds from them specificly.

Thanks for your in put

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I raised RIRs for many years and found the hens to be sweethearts and most of the roos to be stinkers. I now raise Plymouth Rocks and find both the hens and the roos to be sweet, easy-going birds.

HTH

Rusty

3. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    i have black rocks which have been GREAT! i also have 1 rir pullet which is sweet as honey. i couldn't pick between them.

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    My RIR came from McMurray and is one of our favorite chickens. She is inquisitive, easy to hold, lays really well and isn't flighty at all. I would definitely recommend them. I have a pic of her on My Standards Page.

I have 2 Barred Rocks from 2 different places and both are standoffish, don't like to be held or touched, but do lay consistently. Others claim their Barred Rocks are super friendly, I haven't found a friendly one yet and my parents used to have a whole flock of them. I wouldn't have them, but my daughter wanted one. I am hoping once she sees the Barred Cochin I am getting, she will say its ok to get rid of the Barred Rock.

We also have 2 Red Sex Links that lay really well, are pretty sweet natured, but aren't as interested in what we are doing as the RIR always is.

5. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    I can't speak for the other breeds, but I have 2 Barred Rock hens in my flock. I got them from My Pet Chicken. I handled all my chicks quite a bit when they were tiny, so they've all been exposed to handling. One of the BR hens is much friendlier than the other. Not just to humans, chickens too. They're beautiful to look at, that's for sure. Mine haven't started laying yet (any day), so I can't attest to their laying ability yet.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    My RIR's are so sweet. When i go to pick them up they just squat down and wait. they come running for treats when i come out and call chick chik chik. They are good layers as well.

7. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    SunAngel,

I have 5 RIRs coming from MM, and I sure hope they turn out colored like yours! I've seen RIRs in various "reds" and I am really keeping my fingers crossed that ours end up just like yours is! Wow!

Angie

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    She has definitely been my healthiest, sturdiest, all around best chicken I have had so far. I can't complain. I have seen pics of some on BYC that are a shade or two darker, but I am happy with her coloring. I hope they send you some that are just as friendly, healthy and dark colored.

Autumn-she looks a little lighter here with the sun shining on her.
    [​IMG]

ETA: She was standing on my daughters back in the pic on my page, she was bending over to toss treats into the juvie pen. Just proof of how friendly (and nosy) they are lol.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  9. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    My red sexlink was a sweetie, she didn't live very long, and never laid more than a few per week...maybe it was just her.
    I have also had bad experience with BR...not easy to catch/hold...i wouldn't get those...
    My friend had 12 black sexlinks and they were inquisitive and pretty friendly...laid HUGE eggs [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Temperament an egg laying, they all should be about the same. I would get the barred rocks and/or RIRs. There pure breed. Black an red star are sex link an other than the hatchery not having to look hard to sex them there's no real advantage to them. There mutts an there offspring will be mutts(not sexable). Nothing wrong with sexlinks if your the breeder or hatchery but not a lot of advantage to the buyer. I think its better to start with pure breed. If its just for the fact that everyone knows what your talking about when you say barred rock or RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by