Which breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joskt0204, May 12, 2011.

1. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    I very sadly lost my buff orpington pullet at six weeks of age. She was the greatest of my chicks. We only had three, so I feel like I need to add one or two more, in case of any other problems. (Kilo was totally my fault - we had a bad storm, and when I went out to secure them in the upper, enclosed portion of the coop, I didn't get the outer door shut all the way, so in the morning, when I opened it up, she got out and the dogs got her.)

Anyway, here are the breeds I can find about the same age.

White leghorns, austra white, comets, red sex-link, speckled sussex, welsummer, dominique

I want friendly, curious, and funny chicks. Any thoughts?

2. tataharris

tataharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Calvin, Oklahoma
    So sorry for your loss.... [​IMG]

I have Dominiques, and they are great chickens!! They are calm, very hardy, and good egg-layers!!! My roo is as calm as the hens.... I love them!! [​IMG]

I don't have any experience with the others, though.

Have a great day!!!

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I personally are partial the the Sussex and Orpingtons mine are all sweet even the Rooster(Avatar) but I just did get 5 more speckled sussex chicks cause to me they are the most people friendly almost like a pet dog the way the follow you around, and ... Uno comes to her name she looks so cute running to me. LOL

4. joskt0204

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    Thanks! I have one Speckled Sussex and one Dominique coming this afternoon. I hope they integrate easily with my two (Americauna and Black Australorpe). They are the same age (8 weeks).

5. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    Quote:X-2---my fav hen is my speckled sussex suzy---she is broody on eggs right now---right behind , if you can find them--delaware's--nice brown eggs and great snugglebugs that love to be held and taked to

6. joskt0204

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    They seem to be healthy and are settling in just fine. They are so much smaller than my two, but they are supposed to be the same age (8 weeks).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by