Which breed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gracie04, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Gracie04

Gracie04 New Egg

Mar 28, 2010
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Hi. So For my Science fair project, i want to raise chicks(thats not the question but one of the steps) Now of course i will keep theese chicks. I currently have a Rhode Island Red, and a Ancauna, but i want to find a few breed that will get along well with my current chickens, is good with kids, dosent make too much noise, and how to introduce them to my current flock. I hope you get what im saying!! Thanks!!
  2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    That's a lengthy science project with way too many variables. I think you need to narrow the focus of your project before you decide on a breed.
    Then you need to find a source locally which may also narrow the breeds available.
    Any breed can be acclimated to your current chickens but the 'how' of that is a very long way down the road and the least of your problems. At this point, assume that you will need to house the two flocks separately for at least 4 months. Depending upon your project focus, you may need to house the experimental flock in numerous housings during the experimental time. You need to spend a lot of time thinking this through for the experiment to be effective and worthy of a good grade.
  3. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Although I only have two of them I would recommend Buff Orpingtons.
    The reason I decided to get them is because they have a reputation for being extremely friendly and very quiet, both of which I have found to be true.
    Buff Orpingtons and Silkies seem to be the go-to breeds whenever temperament is an issue but I don't have any Silkies. Yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by