which breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsTpratt, Sep 17, 2012.

1. mrsTpratt

mrsTpratt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I'm 3 days into the chicken world. I have 8 rhode island reds and on thursday I'm thinking of picking up 2 more chicks but of a different breed. Being very new to the chicken world I'm not sure which would be the best to go with. The options are Golden sex link, silver lace wind up, and ameraucana. I'm thinking I want to go with the silver lace because they are so pretty.... but i'd really like a sweet loving wants to be held breed. I've been told the ones I already have (rhode island) are sometimes a tish mean. So any input on what would be the best breed out of these 3 would be greatly appreciated.

sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong area, but I did not find a place to ask this type of question/get advice.

Thanks!

also, can I just add the new chicks to the same brooder my 8 RIR are in? the RIRs are about a week old I believe.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. oegbantamsftw

oegbantamsftw Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    All of them and i mean all of them can be "tamed" or be friendly it mostly deepened how much you hold them and pet them and what part of the pecking order they are or rank and their environment close quarters = usually mean chickens

3. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA
    If you'd like to have a little variety of color in your egg basket, Ameraucanas would be a good choice. And in addition to the pretty egg colors, the individual birds themselves come in a wide variety of colors. I have 4 different breeds and my Ameraucana is the most affectionate and the only one that really enjoys being held. She follows me everywhere and pulls on my pant leg until I pick her up. However, all of my girls were a bit skittish until they reached laying age, after which they all became friendlier and easier to handle.

I've put chicks together that were about a week apart in age, and they did just fine. However, beyond that I am really not an expert!

4. SupaChickn

SupaChickn Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I would go with the SIlved Laced Wyandottes.... I recently got 3 to add to my flock and they are so docile and look GORGEOUS! Yes, you can add them to your brooder with the others. as long as they are close to the same age. good luck.

5. mrsTpratt

mrsTpratt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    decided to go with the silver laced, they are so pretty. i couldn't resist. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by