• Bantam Partridge Plymouth Rock

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

ClickerChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2012
SE Washington State
So in the spring, my 4-H club will be all ordering chickens from Murray McMurray hatchery. We're all going to be ordering together so that we can each get only a few chicks. I'm having trouble deciding between these two breeds: Bantam Rhode Island Red, or Bantam Partridge Plymouth Rock. I might be able to get two of each, but I might have to get three of only one breed. If I have to choose only one, it's going to be tough.

Bantam Rhode Island Red: The reviews of this breed on the website say they are VERY dark red - the best you can get for this breed if you want to show. They also have a very nice temperament and are very friendly. This seems to be the breed I'm leaning towards.

Bantam Partridge Plymouth Rock: The reviews of this breed say they have a nice temperament, plus I LOVE partridge! I really want this color, but there is a chance that it isn't close enough to the standard. Partridge can be a tough color to get right.

Has anyone here ordered either of these breeds from McMurray? What's your opinion on them?

Thanks!

Also, just for fun, I added a poll. Which breed would you chose?

Last edited:
I would go with the Bantam Rhode Island Reds. Partridge is a difficult color to get right; so is mahogany red, but if McMurray says that they are show-quality, I guess we'll just have to hope that they're right.

I would get Bantam Rhode Island Red; they are so pretty and great for show. I agree with all that McMurray says about the PR bantams.

I vote Bantam Rhode Island Reds! Love Bantams and Standard Rhode Island Reds! Showing bantams from a hatchery can be difficult though because many times they are WAY bigger than what they are supposed to be according to the Standard of Perfection. I had some Sebright Bantams from Murray McMurray this year that were 2x the size they were supposed to be, but since Murray McMurray has really nice egg layers, maybe the bantam version will be one of their best. Best of Luck!!

I just went through the reviews for each breed again, and the bantam Rhode Island Reds are definitely a winner! All of the reviews say how sweet the hens are - always trying to hitch a ride on your shoulder aand one will even run across six acres when she hears her name! Someone also said that the color is a very deep, rich mahogany color. Looks like this is the one I'm getting!

Back
Top Bottom