Which breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnitaE, Mar 21, 2015.

1. AnitaE

AnitaE Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    Ok...I was wanting crested pekin ducks...UNTIL I read about them...before that I just thought they were super cute and I like that they were larger ducks. Now I'm not so sure I should get crested. Is there another breed of ducks that is friendly...and large? They will be housed seperate from my geese...but will hopefully free range together so I don't want them to be really small. I have sebastopol geese...so they aren't overly aggressive either.

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Pekins and Rouens are large and friendly. My Pekins were larger than my current crested. I always forget too about Muscovies. They are large and friendly.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  3. AnitaE

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    I have never even been around ducks...how are their personalities compared to geese and chickens? I plan to only get females in whatever it is I get...I worry about drakes hurting my chickens that will also be free ranging with them.

4. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Here is a very general guide to some breeds. http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=3785777 I have found that my ducks are very friendly because I spent a lot of time with them when they were young and I still spend a lot of time in the yard. Pekins are generally friendly but due to them being my first ducks I didn't spend nearly as much time with them as I did my current flock and you could tell. They would still eat out of my hands and came when called but didn't really want to be around us at all. My current flock I can pick up, minus my crested whom I got as an adult. He is coming around though and now is one of the first ones at the back door when I call them for treats.

I have a mixed flock and love all of them. I have runners, crested, Cayuga, welsh harlequin and a white layer. They each have their own quirks but are all friendly. My runners don't like to be picked up while the other deal with it and don't try to run away. But my runners will climb in your lap for food and come in the house looking for food if I forget to shut the door!

I don't have geese or chickens so I can't compare first hand. From what I understand geese are standoffish while ducks can be more like pets. Chickens... Eh, I'm so glad I got ducks instead. They are way cuter and I feel like they have more personality. But i really cant say much since I haven't ever had any.

If they free range and your drake has enough femalea then the chickens shouldn't be a problem. Usually drakes tend to go after chickens when there aren't enough female ducks and everyone is housed together. But if you don't want a drake then that is just fine for everyone too.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree, AnitaE, it will be one less concern for your first ducks.

I love my Runners. They are energetic, but mine are not nervous. Very friendly. Not very cuddly most of the time, though they will nestle up to me if I bring a blanket and sit or lie down with them. Yes, I am that fastidious in cleaning their pen!

Anyway, it seems to me that for the most part, the amount of time you can spend with the ducklings will affect how friendly they are. There is some natural variation - each duck has his or her own personality - I used to tell some of my ducks apart simply by their behavior, as a few of them were nearly identical early on.

I have ducks that don't like me to touch them, but will stay a foot or two away from me. Zehn looks up into my face and calls in her loudest voice, ah AH AH AH!!!!! and used to trot right behind me till I turned around to look at her, then ran a few feet away and turned back and called to me. Zwei and Elf come up to me for pets sometimes. Vier fusses at me, but if I touch her, she wiggles her tail and flaps her wings happily.

[​IMG]

That is Zehn calling after me - when they were younger, they hated me being out of their sight.

6. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My blue runner does that A LOT! Now she got the flock to do it too... My poor neighbors. Your Zehn is very pretty!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, needlessjunk. I love them.

8. AnitaE

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    My geese are super friendly....and my chickens love to be held :) But like you said...we have spent tons of time with them and gave each one a lot of attention.

9. AnitaE

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    Your runner ducks are soooo cute! This is going to be a hard decision!LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by