Which breeds are eWh Wheaten? (BC Marans related.)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sparklee, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    I may have a Wheaten recessive female and male in the Black Copper Marans birds I hatched this spring. Maybe not. Can't tell unless I do some test matings. Right?

So I can test with Wheaten birds, but I don't know which birds are Wheaten. eWh/eWh ... they have to be homozygous for Wheaten, right?

Could someone give me a list or some examples?

So far I know Buff Orpingtons are on the Wheaten list.

Also Wheaten Marans are on the list. I'd use them, but I sort of don't want to risk accidental mixing of the birds. I want to be able to say that I only have Black Coppers and no Wheatens for accidental cross breeding.

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    You can use-Brown Leghorn,RIR,New Hampshire Red,Speckled Sussex,Partrige Rock,Buff Brahma,Any buff bird(Cochin,Rock,Leghorn etc).If Black Coper Marans mixed with any of this birds do not give you 100% black coper-it carry Wheaten

3. Sparklee

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:Oh, dear, I end up confused by that.

I was thinking that if I got even just one yellow chick from a mating of a Black Copper Marans with a eWh/eWh that the Black Copper Marans has recessive Wheaten. But if I hatch out 20 and get no yellow chicks, then I probably have a homozygous ER/ER aka pure Black Copper.

But I'm really confused by what you're saying because my understanding of genetics is as shallow as a puddle.

4. ve

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Your thinking of one yelow chick is right.20 Er chicks give you bigger chance but no sure 100%.In my other post I only say that you can use any of these colors for thest matings becouse they are recesive to Er and will give you yelow chicks if parent Marans have Ew.I do not think you should warry for other then Ew colors behaind Black Coper.Sorry for my English

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Interesting idea.

It seems to me that it would be easiest to use a breed that has a wheaten variety. For instance -- if you use wheaten Ameraucanas, you could produce olive eggers while you're testing your Marans flock and also get very clear testing results at the same time.

Let us know what you end up with!

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Buff over Black coper could still produce (buff/red) blacktail males if the buff has Db in it.

I missed which birds were to be tesmated in the original question...

7. Sparklee

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:So are all birds named "Buff" eWh? So besides Buff Orpingtons, also Buff Rocks. Any other Buff birds ... anyone? ... that should be on a list of chickens that are eWh/eWh?

Quote:Black Copper Marans. Some lines of Black Coppers Marans have recessive in them. Two of my birds were a little bit browner as chicks than I would expect to see. However, I'm incredibly inexperienced, so who knows? I posted a photo of one of them a couple of months ago. That bird now has a very red chest which some might say shows that the recessive eWh has worked its magic on some of the Black Copper Marans's melanizers.

Regardless, that bird isn't correct plumage-wise. If it's ER/ER, then I personally don't mind breeding it with a very dark hen. However, if it's ER/eWh, then that bird won't be bred to my BCM (Black Copper Marans) hens because I'd prefer to not make any BCMs with recessive Wheaten in them.

It seems that Wheaten (eWh/eWh) are the bird of choice for test matings for BCMs ... to see if the parent is recessive Wheaten. And it's easy for me because 25% of the babies will be yellow if both parents carry the eWh gene ... at least that's how I understand it.

But I am so new to chickens that I don't know which breeds are eWh/eWh. So I asked the question.

I'd hoped that maybe New Hampshire Reds were Wheaten because I already have some of those. You see, I will have to wait until spring to get some Buff Orpingtons chicks (or whatever eWh/eWh I end up with), then grow them up all summer, and then maybe breed them next November or December (2010) when they're 7-8 months old. That's a long ways away. If I have birds now that are eWh/eWh, then I can do the test matings in a couple of months.

Maybe my question should be: How can I use my New Hampshire Reds to do test matings with my Black Copper Marans to see if my Black Copper Marans carry the recessive Wheaten eWh gene?

I hope that all makes sense.

Edited to fix typos.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  8. Sparklee

Jul 28, 2008
    Actually, your English is adequate for communication. Ultimately, communication is the goal. What's your native language?

Quote:I'm not sure what the above sentence means. Could you possibly explain it, please?

Let's see if I understand you about the ER information. Are you saying that I could use any bird for test matings that has ER in it? ER is Birchen, right?

So if I mate my Black Copper Marans that I think may possibly be recessive Wheaten (ER/eWh) to a New Hampshire Red (which I happen to own) ... okay, that's where I get confused.

Black Copper Marans + New Hampshire Red = ??

Which colored chicks will tell me if I've got a recessive Wheaten gene in my Black Copper Marans parent? What colored chicks will tell me that my Black Copper Marans is ER/ER?

Thanks for help and comments everyone.

9. ve

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    If your roo is EReW+eWeW(New Hampshire)=50%EReW black chicks and 50% eWeW yelow chicks.If your roo is pure ERER with New Hampshire will have 100% black babies-EReW. Yes ER is Birchen

10. Sparklee

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:Okay, then. Thanks, ve. That's good news. I thought I'd have to wait until I bought some more birds before I could do test matings. I guess it looks like I can start later this fall if I like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by