Which breeds are good for NWPA

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by simplyseren, Mar 21, 2013.

1. simplyseren

simplyseren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    NWPA
    I am looking to start raising chickens. I live in the country with 6.5 acres and I have everything figured out as far as a soop, and run, and where, but now I am stuck on figuring out which chickens are best for the NWPA climate. Most of you are aware NWPA is considered "the mistake on the lake" atleast where I am located at. lol. Anyway I am not sure which ones would be good for the type of weather we get here 6 months out of the year. including freezing cold snow and temperatures, as well as some hot hot hot summer days. I plan on turning half of our shed into a coop, and about a 10x15 fenced in area for them. I am only looking for about 4 chickens but I would like to make sure that I am getting ones that can withstand the climate here.
    I would appreciate any feedback.
    Thank you

2. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    NWPA....um? I'm going to take a serious stab in the dark here...Northwest Pennsylvania?

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Here ya go:

4. simplyseren

simplyseren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    NWPA
    Thank you for your help.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Also, if you decide you want really nice heritage Large Fowl...please top on by the Heritage Large Fowl list at BYC. Lots of teachers who will help you discover the best breed for your area and help you find the best stock in the breed you finally choose. Great teachers and judges willing to share their knowledge. No-flames, as in all BYC. A great place for a novice to get started right with quality stock. No one is going to think your questions are needy.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by