which breeds are the friendilst

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ruby101, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ruby101

ruby101 New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    hey guys i was just wondering what breed is the friendilest

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think, out of all the breeds I've had so far, my friendliest chickens have been very random. I do believe all the breeds can be friendly, depending on how you raise them.

My vote would be for my little Cream Brabanter, (a rare breed) who is sooo friendly and wants to be held. She DEMANDS to be held really. Will fly and land on my head if I don't pay her the proper attention. I hatched her though in my incy.

Also, runner up would the my golden buff hybrids, and I have several that love to be cuddled and petted, even as adult hens. The hybrids have several different names, golden sex link, red sex link, cinnamon queen...........lots of names that I can't think of right now....

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Most would say Silkies but MY friendlest is my 8 week old Serama Pullet, Star.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have 14 Cochins- and every single one of them are friendly. I don't have any currently, but I used to keep a small flock of Silkies- they were very sweet, especially the rooster. Mr. Puffy Pants (the roo) lives with my brothers girlfriend now. He wears a manly blue and green diaper and sleeps beside her head on her pillow every night [​IMG]

5. Chicky Monkey

Chicky Monkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I have two buff orpingtons, two SLW's, and three barred rocks. The buffs are, so far, the most tame and sweet. But one of the SLW's and two of the rocks are also very sweet. I think it's a mix between their personal personalities and the attention that you give them. I think they also go through 'phases'. My chickens are starting to be 'hormonal' and are on the verge of laying and, boy, they can sure get moody!

6. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    I agree. Next to my Silkies, my little cochin, Connie, was the friendliest. I'd also have to say smart too. She would hop into my lap and look at me intently as I talked to her and petted her. She would want my food snacks too! She would sit on my knee and eat the morsels I handed her. None of my other hens do this even now. She was so wonderful and I still miss her. Go to a farm and get down on the ground and see which girl comes up to you as you talk quietly to them. Pick the one who seems to not run if you slowly extend a hand with a treat inside. : )
    Let us know what you brought home!

7. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I have Barred Rocks, Golden Comets, Tetra Tints, and Rhode Island Reds. My friendliest are the Barred Rocks by far, even the two BR cockerels are nicer than the pullets of the other breeds.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  8. EELover

EELover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    For my hens I have 2 buff orpingtons, 8 barred rocks, 1 New Hampshire. For my roosters I have 2 barred rocks, and 1 buff rock. Every day my 3 year old comes out with me to feed them and they leave her alone. I don't cuddle with them and pet them very much but they are friendly and easily handled. A lot of the way you raise them determines how they will act. Show them that pecking at you is not acceptable and be the head rooster of your flock. Now some roosters can be a pain but that's why God created a crock pot. Good luck and [​IMG]

9. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    My RSL is the sweetest chicken I have. She doens't even make the irritating chicken screech sound...she kinda coos and whistles. <3 my little Golda

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    What a fun thread!

My Golden Comets are super friendly too! Darla will always be near us every time we so much as step outside the porch door. She catches us up on the daily gossip while perching on us, and always kindly helps us untie our shoelaces [​IMG]

I also have had a lot of friendliness out of cochins. I think they know that they're cuddly and give in to their fates. I even had one little cochin roo that was a nasty little cuss to everything in existence (the bucket, the hose, sparrows, bigger chickens, etc), but when it came to me, he was nothing but sweetness and light. He's loved to sleep in my arms ever since he was two days old.

Then there's Mumbles, my super-tiny bantam Cochin. She follows us around as well when we step outside. It's actually hilarious because Darla is our biggest chicken, and Mumbles is our smallest. It makes for quite a hysterical parade when I'm doing yardwork. Both of my girls help me garden by digging where I'm digging, and stealing my seed packets for a merry game of Chase-the-Chicken-Burglar"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by