Which Breeds are These Little Guys?"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wesnmads, Feb 6, 2015.

1. wesnmads

wesnmads Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    Hello, wondering if anyone has insight into which breeds we stumbled upon. When I chose I simply chose the chicks that were the easiest to pick up...very scientific I am. Anyway, just curious about what we may have chosen.
    Here is Rainy (named for the white cloud on her head of course).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is Harmony. I love her little grey legs,my 3 year old calls them dinosaur feet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm going with Barred Rock and Easter Egger (two breeds that are pretty popular for feed store/hatchery chicks; I've gotten a few that way over the years and I love 'em!)[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree on the barred Rock and Easter egger. Nice classic backyard breeds [​IMG]

Your Rock is a female. The EE is too young to be positive. You might want to post a pic again around 6 weeks just to confirm gender.

1 person likes this.
  4. RouenDuck

RouenDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Too young to be positive, but I would guess the EE is a girl.

1 person likes this.
  5. wesnmads

Jul 18, 2014
    Orange County, CA

Thank you! I was actually kind of concerned that Rainy was a rooster because she has a little more of a comb than Harmony, so that relieves me a bit. However now it makes me question Harmony. Lol. Thanks again for your input.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first chick is probably a Barred Rock, and the other chick is an Easter Egger.

1 person likes this.
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first bird does look like a Barred Rock, and the other looks like an Easter Egger. I think that both are pullets, though it is a little young to be certain.

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The barred Rock has a straight comb, so it will look like more of a comb than the pea combed EE. The pea comb is basically a flat spot at this point, Don't freak out about comparing the two, it's apples to oranges so you'll only stress yourself!

1 person likes this.
  9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    If that is a purebred Barred Rock, it is pretty much impossible for it to be a rooster. Hens have one copy of the gene that causes barring, roosters have two copies. Two copies of the barring gene puts a lot more white on the feathers. A BR that dark would be a pullet (young hen).

BR's have classic single, upright combs; EE's are supposed to have a low, rounded slightly ridgy looking things that are called pea combs. I'm leaning toward pullet on both of these birds too. Where did they come from? Most hatcheries are pretty accurate when sexing chicks; if these came from someone buying from a hatchery (a feed store, for example), your odds are very good that they are both pullets.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  10. wesnmads

Jul 18, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    Thank you. I got from someone who bought from a hatchery. He said they have a 95% accuracy and would take back if it is a rooster, they are illegal here in our city. :( We already went through having to give up a rooster we thought was a hen, not fun, but we got lucky and found him a good home in a neighboring city. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by