Which breeds exist in the golden duckwing color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Henrik Petersson, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    I have fallen in love with the golden duckwing color. Which breeds have it?

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Lots of breeds carry this color . it happens when the bird has one copy of the silver gene and one copy of the gold Gene . It does not breed true.

3. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Phoenix has a golden duckwing variety and they breed true.
    Also check into araucana, old english and modern game.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  4. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Moonshiner,
    Are we sure we are talking about Golden duckwing and not partridge or BBR?
    Many times people (not you) get them mixed up.

5. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Am i talking a true golden duckwing, a different gold based pattern that used a dilute to resemble a golden duckwing, a silver based bird using mahogany or such to look golden??? Idk. I just know what breeds have a variety called golden duckwing by the APA.
    I have raised a few golden pheonix and still have one rooster. They do seem to resemble a golden duckwing and breed true. Idk their exact genetics.
    What I do know is a male silver/gold based leghorn and its color refered to as a golden and that it wont breed true. I once came across a variety of leghorn oversees that was called a golden duckwing and was to be a true golden duckwing. I never found much info of their true genetics (i believe they were really a partridge) but looked into the golden duckwing pattern. Found the same info you have plus a whole can of worms about the trueness of their being such a pattern and a lot of ideas on how it could be created.
    I do know as far as having the true look and being able to breed true all I found was the pheonix and seen the others listed with the APA.
    Thinking back maybe there was a golden duckwing american game too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    That is really interesting about the Phoenix . I found the same type of info you did. it was just very confusing . I didn't know about the Phoenix and that's interesting about the game fowl too. I'll be a son-of-a-gun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by