Which breeds is best for me

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantamFan4Life, Sep 13, 2012.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I'm wondering out of these few breeds below which would fit my suggestions: Show bird, not flighty, friendly, easily tamed, and a excellent pet.

1.Rosecomb
    2.Dutch
    3.Nankin
    4.D'uccle
    5.D'anver
    6.Brahma (bantam)
    7.Silkie

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have not had the other breeds on your list so I can not compare but Silkie's definitely meet all of your requirements. Mine have been incredibly tame and friendly. They are really sweet and feel more like pets to me than any of the other birds I have had. They can not fly at all. I even had to build a lower roost because they couldn't get up on my smallest one. I fell in love and will have them forever now. I also really love the way they look. Super silly in every way.

3. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Thanks for your opinion, but I'm hoping for at least a few more.

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    cubalaya

5. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I need a bantam and I don't know a hatchery that sells bantam Cubalaya's. I did like Cubalaya's until I heard they were flighty is that true?

6. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    my large fowl cubas are not flighty. cackle hatchery has bantam cubalaya i think. if not pm me and i will get you in touch with a breeder.

another great choice would be ko shamo if you want small and tame.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  7. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Ideal does not sell bantam Cubalaya's. Although they sell two varieties of LF Cubalaya's. Shamo's? I don't know. There the worst ranked breed on backyard chickens
    (out of all that are ranked). I also read the review and they were saying there horrible! Is that true?

8. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i said cackle not ideal. shamo are kind of primitive and dont lay a lot of eggs but are tame and intelligent

9. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Oh sorry I thought it said Ideal but I re-read the post and sure enough it said Cackle Hatchery! I would order from Cackle but I'd
    have to get at lot to meet there minimum. Maybe I could get some Shamo's in the order too. Do you know if Aseel's make good pets to?
    Are they similar to Shamo's?

10. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i just got a trio of asils and they are tame and will eat out of our hands and allow us to walk up and pick them up. too many asils or shamo in one pen, though and you will end up with lots of death as they fight each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by