Which breeds lay light brown eggs?

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Hello,
I had a salmon faverolle and silver laced wyandotte who both layed very pretty very light brown eggs. I wouldn't call them cream, but almost. They were much lighter than my Austrolorp's and Cochin's brown egg.

The faverolle was super noisy (we nicknamed her Foghorn Sally) and she bothered my neighbors so I had to give her to a friend. :( I didn't want her to go to a new flock alone so I sent her along with a buddy; my SLW.

I would like to get another chicken who lays a very light brown egg. I am going to see if I can find a SLW chick but in case I can't get one I am wondering what my other options might me. Preferably it will be a breed that isn't known to be noisy. We live in a suburban tract and need to be considerate of our neighbors.

Also, is it common for the SLW to lay a very light brown eggs or can it vary? I don't want to get another one if it was just a fluke that I got that color egg from her.

Thank you,
CJ

That light brown color is pretty standard for the SLW, I think. I have one and her eggs are always a light tan, without fail (in fact, I think most or all Wyandotte's lay that color)

You could try looking into Plymouth Rock's. I have a barred PR and she lays the nicest, light pinky-brown eggs ever. Plus, she's quiet. I will hear her muttering to herself before she lays an egg, but that's it for most of the time.

And why get only one chicken? Surely, your new girl would need a buddy!
big_smile.png
Just sayin'
wink.png

Thanks for the info! :)

You gave me giggle about my new girl needing a buddy. Indeed she will! We are going to get two chicks. I don't really want chicks but my son has his heart set on them so we are just getting the two. When they get to be introducing size I am going to get a young silkie hen and a young d'uccle hen and introduce them all together. That will bring me to nine chickens, which is 4 over what we're supposed to have... As long as they are not too noisy it won't be an issue though. The five I have now are very quiet so hopefully the new girls will be, too.

Thank you! A wyandotte it is! :) Not quite sure ye who her buddy is going to be. Maybe an orpington.

CJ

Sounds like a plan! I haven't yet had a Silkie or d'Uccle, but I understand they are very sweet birds. Have fun, and good luck with the new babies!

Back
Top Bottom