1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHICH BREEDS LAY THE LARGEST EGGS?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Layin Eggs, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    I have been looking over some of the chicken breed sites to see which hens are known for laying the biggest eggs. However I have found some sites have different info.
    I have not found any that say they lay jumbo and very few that say any lay X-Large.

So where do JUMBO eggs come from?[​IMG]

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think they come from older hens. They tend to lay less, but bigger eggs.

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I get a jumbo egg to x large from my australops and I think the jersey giants also lay jumbo's.

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    my one RIR hen lays really big eggs

5. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Delawares lay really big eggs -- often Jumbo sized.

My Jersey Giants lay long, thin eggs.

RIR are also very big.

My Specked Sussex and Barred Rocks lay smaller ones.

6. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I had a Golden Comet who layed beautiful big, round eggs-and she was still a pullet! Unfortunately she was killed a couple weeks ago by a raccoon. Now I still have eggs from my barred rocks, white rocks, easter eggers and buff orph, but the eggs are smaller.

1 person likes this.
  7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Shhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone,,, but those Jumbo eggs??? They come from my duck!

1 person likes this.
  8. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    My RIR's layed really big eggs. I have heard that the red sex link lays jumbo. I have never had any, to say with personal experience. Hope someone with some can let you know if that is so.

9. speedyshyu

speedyshyu New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    I say sexlink!... even a 7 month old, the 2nd eggs she lays... it's double yolk! 2 weeks from day one egg laying, the size and weight is almost 2 times bigger than the eggs classfy as "jumbo" on the market!

I still keep a few that are "super" big, it's huge! little bigger than duck egg. Defiantely athan just double jumbo size! and yes, they are from 7 month old sexlink.

10. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    I think white leghorns lay the biggest eggs consistantly. Most all of thier eggs are jumbo in size if you like white eggs. i once had some Black Minacronas who also always layed jumbo white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by