Which breeds lay white eggs AND are cold hardy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mebuff daisy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. mebuff daisy

mebuff daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    We are located in MN and are planning our batch of spring chicks.
    When we sell our eggs are customers like a nice variety of color. We have white leghorns and though they lay well during spring and summer, in the colder winter months they really slack off and just spend all day sitting on the perch, fluffed up while my other birds- Rhode Island Reds, Speckled Sussex, and Chanticleer hens do just fine. Does anyone have a breed that lays white eggs and is cold hardy ???

-Ann

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    White Leghorns. I read what you just said about your Leghorns but mine layes big white eggs all year round and she does very well in the cold Michigan winters. I put a 24 watt light bulb in my coop and that keeps her laying.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    La Fleche may be worth looking into. They don't have the single combs of most Mediterranean breeds, so they tend to do better. Spitzhauben and Brabanters are also more cold-hardy. Another option would be rose comb breeds like Hamburgs or Rose Comb Leghorns.

4. mebuff daisy

mebuff daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    I checked for the breeds at MMM hatchery and did not see La Fleche, Spizhuaben or Brabanters. Which hatchery do you purchase your chicks from ???

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Ideal Poultry has all of them. Cackle and Meyer have Spitzhaubens and Hamburgs.

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Spitzhaubens or Hamburgs

7. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    The combs of La Fleche males are large V-combs (the only SOP breed with a large V-comb) & they have long wattles. Both comb and wattles get frost-bit easily in the right conditions. Mine have gotten frost-bit here in Alabama on nights in the teens or low 20s. Care has to be taken with La Fleche males that their waterers are not where their wattles get wet when they take a drink in the coldest weather. I also use bag balm on their combs and wattles & on occasion, I have even moved the males inside to my basement for the nights. Usually not a problem in Alabama but in MN, it would be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by