Which breeds sell?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tcthomps1, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Tcthomps1

Tcthomps1 Chirping

Apr 18, 2017
    I am expanding my backyard flock into a breeding program intending to sell chicks/ fertile eggs, etc. I am in the west Georgia area. What breeds do you guys think would sell well to get started?

2. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Songster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    Silkies would probably sell, bantams like seramas, game birds would probably too and maybe some Brahmas and Cochins. That’s just what I think would sell but I’m no expert.

DelaneyMGB25 likes this.
  3. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    In my experience, having hatched chicks and raised started birds for a more urban backyard market for several years before scaling back and raising what makes me happy, people want whatever you don't have. Painted silkies and various polish seem to be the hot thing now. Fancy colored orpingtons and wyandottes were big a couple years ago, then there was/is the Ayam Cemani craze. The Brahma videos circulated, and people that had never heard of on had to have one, like a year ago, but now people around here are giving them away on the swap lists. (I was tired of Brahmas ten years ago.) Pick a good useful breed that lays a lot of eggs and is hardy in almost any type of management system, in a color that pleases you, and raise them. Chasing the next fad is almost impossible to get in on the right end of the market. By the time you get your breeding stock ready to produce, the next fad will have hit.

Top Rooster and red horse ranch like this.
  4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    The good old standards like Orpington, Rhode Island Red and Barred rocks should always sell. EE's are always popular. Most people who have bought my started pullets just want good egg layers. ;)

Tcthomps1 likes this.
  5. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Ask at your local farm supply store that sell chicks in the spring to see what sells consistently in your area. If there is a hatchery in your general area then see what sell out and has delayed availability. If there is a livestock auction house near you, then try to find out what type/age gets most or best bids. You can also ask on the GA group here on BYC to get the local opinion and experience. Go to forums...to social...to “where am I, where are you” forum and find GA.

Top Rooster likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: