Which breeds shoudl I get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Dec 12, 2007.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have a limit of 6 chicks to order from meyer hatchery in the spring what breeds should I get I want a mixed flock for laying I already have Cuckoo Marans, an EE, Salmon Favvorrels, and a Golden Laced Wyndotte.

New Hamphshire
    Rhode Island Red
    Barred Rock
    Domonique
    White Rock
    Partrige Rock
    Delaware
    Astrolope
    Buff Orphington
    EE
    Jersey Giant
    Cuckoo Marans
    Salmon Favvorel
    White Leghorn
    Brown Leghorn
    Phoenix
    Silver Laced wyndotte
    Golden Laced Wyndotte
    Buckeye
    Speckled Sussex

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

If I were you I'd pick:
    Barred Rock or a domonique
    Buff Orphington
    Salmon Favvorel
    Phoenix
    Golden Laced Wyndotte
    Speckled Sussex

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks any one else?

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i would also go with the barred rock, buff orpington, buckeye, australap, and Golden Laced Wyndotte.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I would like them for eggs and also I would like them to be heritage breeds or at least not hybrids I would also Like them to be a pretty calm bunch.

thanks Henry

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    are you planning to raise/hatch any??

I would get the BUCKEYES they are friendly if your in the neighborhood stop and talk to my Buckeyes they will convince you buckeyes are the way to go.

I ask about hatching, because if you plan to hatch you will have to seperate different breeds to ensure they are PURE, if you dont plan to hatch, get a couple of each, I really like the Dominic too.

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Another thing, why are you limited to 6 is that your towns rules or Parents???

8. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    If you want brown eggs...............Buff Orps.........RIR...........Barred Rocks
    white eggs............any of the leghorns

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Well Limited to 6 just because my parents dont own a farm we live in the suburbs and also I already have 6 hens and I think 12 is a good number. Also because of space limitations. I am not alowed to have a rooster so I will not be hacthing. DO Buckeyes lay well and are they good Grazers and how are their personalities?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    mine were all laying well, but I think the whole crew went on strike. The hens are one of the first to show up for treats, and are easy to pick up if you want, they will follow you like a puppy till they realize there are not any treats. Mine freerange everyday, eating whatever they can find in the yard. I have seen them catch little snakes, supposed to be good mousers too, but never seen that, I may if they keep catching the snakes though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by