Which breeds should I get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mccluckers, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Hi I have 8 chickens current and I have an 8x6 shed I am planning to get three more as I would like to have room for there babies! I would like 1 bantam 2 standard hens

What breeds would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I like Silkies, Black sex links (my fav) and a Ameraucna/Easter Egger.

3. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Thanks I was looking at salmon facerolles polish brahma and bantam wyandotte but open to all new suggestions thanks again lightchick

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Your welcome! I just LOVE Black sex links because 1 the first chick I ever had was a BSL and 2 I have a BSL now and she's the friendliest, sweetest, likes being petted and held.

5. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Awww sweet

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Black Sex Links (Black Stars) are my favorite chickens. They are hardy, friendly, egg laying machines. If you want a standard breed (BSLs are hybrids and won't breed true), I would recommend Black Australorps. They are very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. My favorite bantams are the Black Silkies. They are incredibly cute, sweet, and gentle birds. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

7. stokes

stokes In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Waterford Ireland
    I have Rhode Island reds which I find very good. They,re are very hardy especially with the weather we have in Ireland. I have them since November and only one have gotten broody and it only took a week to knock it out of her and she started to lay again a week later. I also have a Dutch bantam which is the sweetest little thing and great for laying. My son loves her eggs. She gets on great with the other two they keep an eye on her. I hope that could help in some way and luck with your decision[​IMG]

8. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Thanks guys I wasn't very bright and I asked about any breed but I can only get them from one place I will post a link to there page where they say which breeds hey keep below.

http://www.doblespoultry.com/pure-breeds.html

Thanks

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I took a look at doblespoultry's breeds list. Of their standard breeds, I would recommend Buff Orpingtons. They are beautiful with their gold feathers, very hardy, good layers of brown eggs, and one of the friendliest and gentlest of all breeds. I have raised them for years and never had an aggressive one in my flock. My children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets out of them. Among the bantam list, I would recommend one of the Pekins (whichever color you prefer). I've had them in the past, and they aren't great layers (not really an issue with bantams since they lay small eggs anyway), but they are very beautiful, sweet, and gentle birds. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

10. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Thanks really helpful any other suggestions??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: