which breeds to choose from

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jolenep, Mar 13, 2017.

1. jolenep

jolenep Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    we are just starting out. Do you have a page describing the different breeds.
    I cannot decide between the cucoo maran, white plymouth rock and the golden laced wyandottes. Would they get along?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

We do have a Breeds page. There is a tab at the top of this page that says "Breeds" or you can click here....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Chickens don't recognize different breeds from themselves, so generally they do get along. Things that can cause "arguing" in the coop are not enough space, not enough food or waterers, boredom, health issues etc... Smaller chickens can be picked on by big chickens. If you keep them proper, they should all get along just fine. :)

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! :)

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. jolenep

jolenep Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    thank you very much. This really really helped. what is a setter and a non-setter?

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Broody vs not broody tendency.
    Hatchery cuckoo marans lay a disappointing light brown egg. If you want them for dark eggs I would go with a welsummer or barnevelder if you can not find a French marans.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Check out Henderson's Chicken Breeds Chart.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 on the above posts!

A setter is going to be a bird that goes "broody" easily (wants to hatch chicks). These types of breeds are great if you keep a rooster and want your hens to hatch their eggs. They see a pile of eggs and they are eager to brood them!

Non setters are less likely to go broody or less often. They usually lay their eggs and want nothing to do with them after they are laid. If you are keeping chickens for eating the eggs and as pets, you will do better with a less broody hen. Broodies can be a pain in the rear if you dont want them to be broody. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by