Which breeds to get

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by johndeerematt, Feb 21, 2013.

1. johndeerematt

johndeerematt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    Hey everybody ! I will be raising some birds for butcher. They will be in a pen, in a pasture. Wondering if I can do jersey giants? They are really pretty. If not, what breeds can/should I get?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I would go with something local if you can, but Dominique's are said to have especially good tasting meat. There was some foody group I was reading about that endorsed Doms and four other breeds. I can't remember the others now though. :/

3. Wyandotte96

Wyandotte96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Ohio
    You can do Jersey Giants another option is freedom rangers they grow quick but take longer than cornish crosses and forage better.

4. heartbreakdiet

heartbreakdiet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    North Stonington, CT
    I would go with Jersey Giants.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Jersey Giants do indeed get big - but they are a slow grower. I have read on BYC that they are not cost efficient to raise for processing.
    Most folks that raise for meat go with the fast growing Cornish X. It is the breed and has the flavor people are used to from super markets and restaurants. Some people dislike like it because they tend to be dirtier and lack much personality. Red Rangers are also becoming popular...not as fast growing, doesn't get as large, but also not as slow as heritage breeds. That being said, lots of folks are opting for the heritage breeds these days. Lots to consider - best of luck with your choice.

6. johndeerematt

johndeerematt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    About how long to finish out jersey giants? And Dominique's? Cornish x is about nine weeks I believe.

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    One of the guys on the Colorado thread breeds doms and did some harvesting last year at different ages. I don't remember what ages he harvested them at but I am sure he kept records. His name on here is wsmith.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by