Which breeds to get

johndeerematt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Adams, nebraska
Hey everybody ! I will be raising some birds for butcher. They will be in a pen, in a pasture. Wondering if I can do jersey giants? They are really pretty. If not, what breeds can/should I get?

I would go with something local if you can, but Dominique's are said to have especially good tasting meat. There was some foody group I was reading about that endorsed Doms and four other breeds. I can't remember the others now though. :/

You can do Jersey Giants another option is freedom rangers they grow quick but take longer than cornish crosses and forage better.

Jersey Giants do indeed get big - but they are a slow grower. I have read on BYC that they are not cost efficient to raise for processing.
Most folks that raise for meat go with the fast growing Cornish X. It is the breed and has the flavor people are used to from super markets and restaurants. Some people dislike like it because they tend to be dirtier and lack much personality. Red Rangers are also becoming popular...not as fast growing, doesn't get as large, but also not as slow as heritage breeds. That being said, lots of folks are opting for the heritage breeds these days. Lots to consider - best of luck with your choice.

Back
Top Bottom