Which breeds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by My chicken is cuter, Mar 26, 2009.

1. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I am going to raise some chicks to sell when they are older.I want to raise some chicks but I can't house them through the winter. I was wondering how many I should raise, 2,3, or 4? Four would be a little harder, but I Could manage. Are people more likely to buy a large number, or just a few at a time?

Also which breeds, I have White rocks, Buff Orpington, and Rhode Island reds (I'm going to sell the ones I don't keep). I know I'm gonna raise 1 RIR and 1 White Rock. I was thinking maybe 1 of each breed, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance:D

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    It is, of course, easier to sell pullets than roosters. You almost can't give roosters away around here. The only way I've seen it done is to sell a rooster with a couple of hens to go with him, a set of chickens if you will. Are all of yours female?
    My experience is that people buy a couple of hens at a time. Other areas might have different experiences. Dunno. Do you ever check your local Craigslist to see what the going rate is? That would give you a good idea of what breeds are already available locally and what the average charge is for pullets.
    Good luck with it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by