Which Broody Breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by liveinthewoods, Apr 1, 2015.

1. liveinthewoods

liveinthewoods New Egg

Apr 21, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to see if I can't get a hen to adopt some day old chicks. We don't have a rooster, so I can't try to hatch our own and I'll be getting them from the feed store. None of my birds have ever gone broody before, but I thought I'd still take a shot at it.

I'm curious to know which breeds y'all think would be most "motherly". I have Buff Orpington's, Wyandotte's, and Ameraucanas. Which one would you pick?

I would be grateful for any advice

Thank you so much!

-Brendan

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Your orp is probably your best shot, but unless a bird is already broody, she will not take chicks given to her and may even kill them, so you'd have to wait until you had a broody to give her chicks.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Unless you have a broody hen, you are unlikely to convince one to take over some chicks no matter what the breed.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there liveinthewoods

Sadly, I have to agree with the responses you already have.

Even if a hen is broody you are taking a risk giving her chicks that she has not hatched as it is believed a bond is formed a couple of days prior to the eggs hatching as she can hear them and they can hear her.

Having said that, there are lots and lots of broodies who will accept one to two day old chicks if slipped under her at night time, but the risk of her killing them is still there. I have also heard of some broody's quite happily taking on chicks during the day.

But sadly you do need a broody. Trying to give chicks to a non-broody hen will probably not turn out well at all.

I only have experience with bantam broodies, but Silkies and Bantam Cochins go broody often!

I do not have a rooster and when I have a broody that I want to give eggs, I purchase fertile eggs to give to her.

Another option, if you do not have a broody and you want chicks, is to set up a brooder box where you can 'raise them' yourself and introduce them to the flock when they are older.

5. maddog3355

maddog3355 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Missouri
    I think the hatcheries have bred the broodiness out of the Orpingtons too. I know a lady that has 100 buff Orpingtons from cackle hatchery and she said none of them have tried to brood and they will be 2 yrs old this spring.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My Belgian d'Uccles are very broody, and right now I have a two year old white Chantecler who is sitting on eggs. Your best chance is to have several eggs in a nest (six or so, labeled) and see if one of your hens decides to set. Then hope that she will accept chicks. Better that you raise the chicks in a brooder, IMO. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by