1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which brown egg laying hen lays the largest egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ging3rhoffman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Which brown egg laying hen lays the largest egg? I want to buy some laying
    hens this spring and wanted to know which ones to go with. I'm looking for jumbo eggs! Thanks

2. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    A 2 year old Australope would be a good bet to lay jumbo eggs.

3. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Always had good luck with Buff Orpingtons....currently my white barred roc hens are laying jumbo eggs and my Golden Orbs are laying medium/large ones.
    The white barred rocs are heavier than the Orbs so that may be a factor. Next time I get a flock it will probably be the White BRs.....

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    My golden comets laid huge eggs. [​IMG]

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Most any of the hybrid brown egg layers would be a good choice. If you don't want crosses and would rather have a pure breed type. then any of the dual purpose breeds will lay a fairly good size egg and a little larger egg in their second year of laying. ie: RIReds, NH's, BA's, BO's,BR's, WR's, Brahmas,Wyandottes, Any med. to lrg. type breeds.

6. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    I don't know the scientific answer here but I'm betting all I have on the one that's squawking the loudest.!!
    [​IMG]

7. AnnieOakley379

AnnieOakley379 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Bristol County, MA
    I get pretty good size eggs from my black star & red star girls.

The one on the left is a double yolk. The other 2 are normal sized eggs, pretty close to the store bought large egg sizes.
    [​IMG]

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Our Delaware pullets that have only been laying for 3 weeks are already laying X-Large eggs [​IMG] can't wait until they get big-darn pullets!!
    Other than those most of the larger heavy breeds lay a decent sized egg once they get going.

9. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    my RIRs have laid jumbo 2.5-2.6 oz eggs.... most of the time they weigh 2.3- 2.5 range (large)

10. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have BO pullets, waiting on the first eggs...good to see that someone here is getting large/jumbo eggs from that breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by