Which Buff Orpington Cockerel to Keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Oct 23, 2009.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other - Please specify.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I have two young Buff Orpington Cockerels reserved from this year. Which one would you keep?

Bachelor 1:
    6-months-old, not crowing, flirting with the hens, defends the hens from the turkey (who he just doesn't like), has not grown much in the past few weeks, is not mean but will peck your feet pretty hard from time to time.
    [​IMG]

Bachelor 2:
    5-months-old, not crowing, very laid back and reserved, likes to socialize with the hens, has just recently started filling out and is getting very broad, lighter in color but getting more gold feathers as he ages.
    [​IMG]

Both side-by-side with #1 in foreground and #2 in background:
    [​IMG]

I know the pictures a little crappy, but they are both active fellows. My main goal is just to keep one past about a year old just to see what he ends up looking like. This is the age in which I normally list them for sale, so I don't get to see what they turn out to look like. Thanks for your vote!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I like #1

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    seems the 1's have it [​IMG]

5. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    hum.. i like the "laid back" part of #2, so im gonna go with that.... i think they're both lovely though.. I wish i could have one myself...no roosters here though:hit

6. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    nice birds!!!

I love #1 also

[​IMG]

7. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the Buff color of #2. Hard to compare without seeing more pics.

8. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I chose #1, but I'd like to see pics of them from a side angle.

I do know how hard it is to get them to cooperate and pose for pics, though.

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Hard to tell from the pics, but number one also looks like he has a nicer comb and wattles.

My BO roo didn't start to fill out (body shape) until he passed the 6 month mark. He is growing pretty well, now, and filling out broader in the chest and body. He's a little darker buff than I'd like, but most of my hens are lighter buff, so I am hoping it'll even out in the babies.

If you want one to keep to breed, then go with one who has the best overall, and if color is an issue, choose which one is best suited to the shade of hens you have.

If you just want one to keep to see how they turn out at a year old, I'd go with personality.

My BO roo is a horndog, btw... so ya may get fertile eggs anyway, even if you don't plan to hatch them [​IMG]

meri

10. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by