Which caged bird is the easiest to breed

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
i guess what i am asking is what bird that is kept in cage is the easiest to breed. are there types of doves that breed better or is it finches or what can someone please tell me. also share your experiences with breeding birds in cages

I have a few zebra finches. They are hardy little birds and breed easily. Mine were laying eggs in the food dishes before I got them some nests. Once I got the nests in there, it was not long before they were raising babies! Cuties!!!

Cockatiels and Lovebirds are easy to raise as well. Just give them a nest box and they will do the rest. You can pull the babies for hand feeding if you choose to.

i thought it was really hard to breed parakeets. how do u tell the diff. between males and females. i would love to build a pen with zebra finches society finches then a cage beside it with a pair of diamond doves. Then haha underneath both the cages keep a few quail so they can clean up the food they spill. would this work?

Diamond doves are way easy if you keep them warm. Zebra and Society Finches are hard to keep from breeding.

The cage set up you mentioned sounds fine. Be sure they are button Quail underneath.

I got my first pair of diamond doves a few years back. I trade my Ringneck female for them at the pet store. Without muck doing the doves began to fill their extra grit dish up with bedding. I kept dumping it out and they kept filling it. Eventually two eggs appeqared in the dish full of bedding. I was so surprised and excited I went into a tither. After 12 days one of the eggs hatched. The other was dud. The parents were very good at parenting and kept running out of food. After ten days and a larger food dish the baby was ready to fly. I weaned him then, but too soon and ended up having to handfeed him. He was the tamest bird I've ever owned. his name was Gonzo.

My birds never made it another breeding season before they died. It is too cold here for them and I didn't know the heat they require. they must be kept above 65 degrees farenhight. Hang an infrared lamp in the pen or have the room kep very warm and they will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom