Which came first? Europeans or chickens? Read this article.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by horsecrazychicklovingkid, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    There is also some evidence that the American native chili peppers showed up in Pre-Columbian Asian cuisine. This means that the migration went in more than one direction. Anthropologists and archeologists are rethinking the whole "land bridge" concept of American colonization. They are finding more and more evidence that there were humans in the Americas before the land bridge was available for use.

2. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    have read somewhere that tobacco and cocoa has been found in Tutankhamun's tomb in egypt.

3. mom'sfolly :

There is also some evidence that the American native chili peppers showed up in Pre-Columbian Asian cuisine. This means that the migration went in more than one direction. Anthropologists and archeologists are rethinking the whole "land bridge" concept of American colonization. They are finding more and more evidence that there were humans in the Americas before the land bridge was available for use.

Wow, that's interesting.​

4. Quote:That's cool.

5. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, I remember this as well, but I don't remember if it was specifically his tomb or another reference in ancient Egypt. I also remember seeing images of grain that appeared to be corn (rather than wheat) appearing in either this (or another) ancient society, but will have to look that up later.

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I have read that animals including chickens have been found out at sea floating on debris from storms and such. We have had rattlesnakes float down the Columbia River to downstream islands near the coast from eastern Oregon where they are native to.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think the Article is confusing either Manx Rumpies or Collancas with Araucanas. [​IMG] Collancas are what are found in Chile, however the chicken in the photo looks like a Manx Rumpie or something.

[​IMG]

8. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm also remembering some criticism of the analysis, stating that the breeds used to determine non-European heritage were actually contaminated with interbreeding with European breeds, or something to that effect. The data were not deemed conclusive....yet. It's still up in the air.

BTW, that link is from four years ago.....

9. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I've heard about this since I was a child. It was a big topic of conversation among most native groups I grew up around. Many insist that some tribes came over on boats and traded with people from across the ocean long before the Europeans came

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by