Which came first ? The chicken or the coop ??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gertiie, May 6, 2011.

1. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    It amazes me how many people I read get their chickens FIRST before they have built their coop ! I know I fall under that classification myself.
    Is it impatience ? It is timing ? Is it the impulsiveness that takes over when you walk into the farm store and hear " cheep cheep cheep " and see their cute fuzzy butts ?
    Which was first for you ? The chicken or the coop ??

2. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    For me, it was chickens first, but with planned timing. I had the money all saved up for the coop/run construction, and was just waiting for the carpenter to start. So in May of 2010 I got my chicks, and by the first week of July the coop/run was completed. It was perfect timing, as the chicks had outgrown the brooder, they went straight to the new coop. It all went quite smoothly, but I had been plotting and planning for YEARS. [​IMG]

3. BarbG

BarbG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Chicago
    I got the coop first, but before it was out of the box I realized I wanted a bigger one. The chicks came in late March, the weather has been crappy, we needed to build a new garage since the old one started falling down, and now I'm scrambling to get the coop built. Hopefully the coop should be done in the next week and I can move the stinky and rambunctious riot girls outside where they belong. I'll undoubtedly take a loss on the tiny coop I bought, but there are a few nearby suburbs that only allow 3 hens and I'll toss in a couple of my girls so someone gets a pretty complete package - all they'll need to do is add a run.

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Chickens! I blame it all on Squishy who got hatching eggs and then "Oh..don't worry Mum we have a couple of months yet to build the coop" [​IMG] And then...weeks of perusing coop designs and .......yeah...so thats why we have the coop de halfway house
    ps gertie..I know I said I would offline this weekend..but having problems giving UP my puter long enough for it to be serviced LOLOL and that's all BYC's fault! [​IMG]

5. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    chicks of course, coop materials were bought immediately after but you know how fast one guy (DH) building by themself goes, I helped but he seems to think that since I'm a woman I'm incapable.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The Chicken Fortress came before the chickens.

[​IMG]

7. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Well... my problems began when....
    I decided I wanted chickens. Read up a bit. Found a coop design I liked (from here of course). Bought an incubator. Bought my eggs. Then after the eggs had been incubating for a day... submitted my coop plan to management (chooks). Nope, she did not like my coop. Okay, weeks go by.. I send plan after plan of BYC coops... nope, no approval from management. 2 months go by! We build the Halfway House... and still no approval from management.

Finally, I made a decision.. and said "This is what were building" all stubbornly.. and she loved it! [​IMG]

Then today, she says "I'm having second thoughts"........ Nope! I made an executive decision.. and that's final! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

You know I love you mummy dear [​IMG]

Always trying to blame it on poor innocent Squishy! [​IMG] Squishy shakes her head in profound disappointment

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Hey that's NICE!!!

9. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    The coop.

When the first cavemen were setting outside their first cave, nothing
    to do, they pondered a way to feed all mankind. Not everyone's a hunter.

So they built a coop to see what they could catch. Big coop. Hoping for a dinosaur,
    or even a dragon.

But that night, all they caught was a chicken.

And changed the world.

10. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    The coop came first for me! It was actually run-down, messy and a right dump when we bought the house. The neighbours welcomed us and told us about the previous owners also having chickens... it looks like they were locked inside that little coop all day.

We decided to try this whole chicken-owning business out. First, the old rusty metal nestboxes went out, and we put in some newer ones, and laid down a bit of grass clippings to make the place smell nicer. Did up the door so it wasn't fallings off its hinges, and we decided to cordon off a section of garden and let them free range while not destroying the vegetables.

We got the birds themselves after that. Turns out we had to keep the things indoors for a while because they were still young, but we put them in the coop and locked the door during day to let them gets accustomed to the place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by