1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SassyKat6181, Oct 14, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    The egg. Final answer.

As the geneticist J. B. S. Haldane remarked, "The most frequently asked question is: 'Which came first, the chicken or the egg?' The fact that it is still asked proves either that many people have never been taught the theory of evolution or that they don't believe it."

With that in mind, the answer becomes obvious. Bird evolved from reptiles, so the first bird must have come out of an egg--laid by a reptile.

Found this on HuffPost tonight......what do you think?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I think this post will get locked like all the other hundreds of posts which ask this question~ that usually starts arguments about Creationism vs. Evolution, that's what I think. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yep, here we go again. I vote evolutionary creationism. [​IMG]

4. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

The chicken.

God would look pretty silly sitting on an egg, now wouldn't he? I mean, someone had to set the first egg so that it would hatch.

5. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bird evolved from reptiles, so the first bird must have come out of an egg--laid by a reptile.

Yes but what did the reptile hatch from​

6. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    But If you are a very religious Christian. And you believe Everything in the bible, didn't the bible say that God Invented the birds. I am Christian, but I don't believe everything in the Bible. But I bet there are gonna be many very religious christians, that believe everything in the bible, ON this forum. I am saying that arguing with some of these people who are saying stuff like God sitting on eggs, or there would be a lot of rotten eggs, is so pointless, because they are stuck on their religion as firmly as you are stuck on making them change their minds.

7. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    this is simple if you ask whether the chicken or the egg came first then the egg. If you ask whether the chicken or the chicken egg came first then the chicken. [​IMG] dont get all upset belief wise look at this as a puzzle. Like the Tolken puzzle...."A box with out hinges, key, or lid. Yet golden treasure inside is hid" what is it?

8. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    This is gonna get locked [​IMG]

9. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I got my chickens first, then 19 weeks later got an egg. [​IMG]

10. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps