Which came first: the chickens, or.....the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cmjust0, May 13, 2009.

1. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    I've determined that the way things work around our farm is that we must first acquire the animals, then think about the housing. If we wait until the housing is done in order to acquire the animals, we never get the animals. As such, we now find ourselves in possession of 28 RIR chicks of three weeks age -- and no coop.

So, tell me... Which came first at your place? The chickens, or the coop? [​IMG]

2. Dandy Acres

Dandy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Well I started the coop then came the chickens. They are five weeks old and still no coop! Good thing it is still cold up here.

3. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    definitely the coop

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    I have been begging for a coop for years and years. Finally I got my chicks earlier this spring anyway. I just kinda figured it would take a higher priority around here when my DH gets tired of smelling the chicks. [​IMG] Worked for me. Tee hee hee Ooh I'm so evil.

5. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

chicks first here...

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Always the animals come first. I love to keep DH on his toes and fussing about how to house the new darlings.

7. Katy_didnot

Katy_didnot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Chicks first! Coop is about halfway done. Babies are about 4 weeks. [​IMG]

8. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    The good thing about getting chicks or eggs is that it buys you time to get the coop up and running. If in the house, it is quite the incentive. My whole family pitched in.
    Chicks first.

9. okiron

okiron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    The chickens will probably come first lmao. The animals always come first around here before the housing.

10. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Chicks [​IMG] BTW- That was about 10 weeks ago and dh just finished the coop enough for them to go out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by