1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which camera would you get to catch predators?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NicInNC, Mar 4, 2013.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have an android tablet and would love to just be able to get a simple video camera to monitor the coop. Having no experience with them, which would you recommend? How easy are they to set up? It sounds like it may be complicated. I'm determined to find out what all is snooping around my coop!

http://www.amazon.com/Wansview-Wire...toring/dp/B003LNZ1L6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/LOFTEK®-Outdo...frared/dp/B004Y9OPC2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Agasio-Outdoo...Vision/dp/B0054VXG6A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We don't have a video camera but we do use a game camera. It takes pictures and videos but they go on a memory card. Works great and we know what's moving around our chickens coop at night.

3. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    It takes video too? What is the name of it?

4. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Most of the newer game camera have video. Ours is a Moultrie that we bought from Walmart for around $60.00. Just make sure its one that takes video at night. Not all of them do.

5. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Click on my link below - see my cams and you can read how they are set up there. They are IP Cameras - Foscam is the brand.

6. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I bought a cheap trail cam today from Walmart but it's going back. I just trapped an opossum and the camera didn't take a darn picture despite the fact that the trap was right in the center of the vision field of the camera. I think I'll go for an ip camera. Sab, I was looking at those cameras on amazon. I'm watching your flock right now. :) Do you have to pay to be able to stream that online?

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You'd be better off spending the money on a trap if you're having predator problems

8. NicInNC

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    We have 2. I caught another opossum last night within 1 1/2 hours of setting the trap. I have never seen opossums around my house until the past few weeks. I just wish I knew if they were the ones killing my chickens or if it's something else. I NEED to know what is killing them.

9. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    No I don't pay to video stream except for the cost of hosting a web site. But I agree, you need traps not cameras. The cameras are just for fun.

10. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Dick's sporting store has a huge selection but I don't know what one to get.
    High quality pic and videos are important to me.
    Do any of them have a cropping tool so you can share?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by