Which chick is the purebred BCMs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GothChick, Jan 2, 2011.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So I have 2 chicks and I can't remember which came from which egg. One is a BCMs and one is a BCMs mix chick. They are similar in color and both have feathered legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What did you mix the second one with? [​IMG] That would help. . .

Because otherwise they both look pure. They both have the same leg color, same black coloring, etc. Often if one is only part black copper, it will have yellow or green on its legs, and it will be mostly or entirely black.

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    the chick on the left

4. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm not sure what it's mixed with. I ordered 12 mixed with BCMs eggs from Ebay. It was a BCMs rooster over multiple hens. All the eggs were marked and one was a purebred BCMs and the rest were mixed well after the chicks started running around in the incubator I lost track of who came from which egg. I thought I would be able to tell the purebred a part from the rest but then these two look so similar. The mom could be a black australorp hen, rhode island red hen, white rock hen, buff orpington hen, or a dominique hen.

5. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    MY guess, that means nothing, is the one on the left.
    I have not hatched a BCM with white on the face.
    But then, I have not hatched very many.[​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The white on the face means nothing.

So then either you have here two mutts that are half Black Australorp or just plain two BCM's with lightly feathered shanks. The rest of the breeds you mentioned would throw clean shanked chicks if your BCM's have legs this lightly feathered, or they'd throw color in the down, or white chicks, or even barred chicks.

So, those are both mutts or both purebred BCM's [​IMG]

7. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Well I know for sure one is a purebred because there was only BCMs roosters and one egg was a BCMs hen egg. So obviously a BCMs hen + a BCMs rooster would = a purebred BCMs. But I don't remember any other BCMs eggs. I guess we will have to see how they feather out. Unless one of the BCMs hens eggs were really light and they thought it was from a different hen but was really a purebred. Only one egg was marked pure.

8. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I can only guess because I don't have any experience with the breed. I would guess the one on the left is the pure one and the one on the right is the mix.....I don't know if it matters but the chick on the right has a red/gold spot above the chicks left eye.

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm not sure it you'll be able to tell for sure until later - it will depend on whether the BCM mix ends up looking like a pure BCM, or if it shows signs of something else. I've got a hen that came from a Blue Ameraucana x B. Wheaten Am and she looks almost pure (she's blue), except for the very tiny amount of brown leakage on her chest.

I don't have any pics of newly hatched BCM chicks, but these 3 are 2 1/2 weeks old (mine don't have much yellow on their faces, but I've seen pics of BCMs that do):
    [​IMG]

10. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    You know I just hatched out 'mystery chicks' that so far are looking to be entirely BCM mixes. All of them but one look exactly like pure BCM pics I have seen. They especially look like the chick on the right with the least amount of white on its face. Who knows but they sure are cute. You'll be able to tell if they are pure when they are older, I'm sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by