Which chick is which

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pennygirl, Mar 16, 2016.

1. pennygirl

pennygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    I want four hens with friendly docile personality who won't blow out there reproductive track like I've heard sexlinks can

I wanted four red sexlinks but they are going to be pet birds no breeding and no meat production but a few eggs a year would be nice but not like 300 a year per hen

Please help me I have to get them soon it's chick season

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Red sexlinks are great.

so are barred rocks.

3. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Most hatchery birds are bred for increased egg production. If you don't want that look for a heritage or show quality breeder. Most of egg production layers are RIR, New Hampshire, barred rocks, australorps, Easter eggers. Look for local breeders, barnyard mixes make great layers.

4. pennygirl

Sep 19, 2015
    Thank you so much

How are buff orpingtons

I'm sorry but I have a weakness for red hens

My last red hen was a sexlink she was an angel

5. curious chickee

Orpingtons come in many colors and are great egg layers. I have 6 red sex links and yes they are great layers, I have 3 black sex links which are a Cochin x barred rock. So far all of mine are great layers as I bought from hatcheries for first set. Now I am getting blue copper Marans and black or blue ameracaunas. I also have rhode bars and barred rock pulleys to continue with my sex link projects.

6. pennygirl

Sep 19, 2015
    You have rhode bars
    So cool they are beautiful
    I thought about getting one but I can't find a tractor supply or farm store with rhodebar chicks

7. curious chickee

I got my rhode bars from a breeder, most of my chickens now come from breeders, I like that they breed toward the standard

8. pennygirl

Sep 19, 2015
    That's exactly what I'm hoping for
    I want to get good quality chickens not for eggs or meat but as a family pet. I'm hoping for four red hens, and I can't decide if I should get them from a breeder or tractor supply

9. curious chickee

If you want red chickens, I would get heritage Rhode Island reds. Beautiful dark burgundy red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by