Which chicken breeds are the most quiet and nice?

Gardenpig

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
OC
Hello! I am thinking of getting a chicken, but I live in the suburbs and I need a chicken that can be quiet as can be bc I am quite sure I would get complaints. I have checked out the Red Star chicken and the Easter Egg chicken. Are these really quiet and nice or are there better choices that also lay eggs everyday? Thank you!!

I've had EE's from Ideal Poultry and they were very quiet. Not even an egg song out of them. I think it has to do with the fact that I raised them from chicks and hadn fed them. They were the tamest hens I've ever had.

silkies by far are the best pet chicken........... if you want eggs get a buff orpington or EE. Silkies are awesome, friendly, and the most pet like chicken ever!

My barred rock hen has been a great layer and loyal pet for me. But the nicest and sweetest are my d'uccles. The hens do have a noisy egg song, though. But my spitzhauben is the quietest, most curious, friendly thing! She is a good flyer, a good layer of white eggs, and comes to investigate whatever I'm doing.

Last edited:
cochins, cochins, cochins.

The roosters are gentlemen, the hens are gentle and spoiled, and they generally are happy.

They may not be an everyday egg layer, though.

Last edited:
For eggs...Cochins or EEs all of mine are quiet, friendly and enjoyable birds... for a bantam bird...go Silkie or bantam cochin.

Hahah well now I'm confused because I looked more into EE's and I found Araucanas & Ameraucanas. Are these also quiet and good layers? Are they usually hard to find? I keep finding things that say that a lot of places just claim to be Araucanas or Ameraucanas but they are really EE's. Thank you!

Quote:
If they are hatchery birds, they are more likely to be like 'EE's' Easter Eggers are called that because they aren't really pure, So they can't really be called an Auracana or Ameraucana.
I live in city and my chickens are not legal, and unfortunately not so quiet. My golden laced wyandotte is the quietest I would say. As long as they layed in a coop you won't really hear them.

Hmm ok. haha I guess I don't too much about the fancy stuff bc I am just starting. EE's will work for me since a lot of people here seem to like it. But what about
Red Stars? My sister really wants one. Are they quiet too?

Back
Top Bottom