Which Chicken Breeds can withstand lots of heat, but also give lots of eggs and are friendly?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Habib Ikram, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Habib Ikram

Habib Ikram Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2016
    I live in dubai, and want around 10 chickens, but which Chicken Breeds can withstand lots of heat, but also give lots of eggs and are friendly?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe its more of a case of knowing what is locally available to you. If you could list what is available, then folks could make suggestions. I'm sure that hybrid laying chickens are available, but not sure what heritage breeds you have in Dubai.

3. TexasLisa

TexasLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    This came from McMurray Hatchery:
    http://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/20...en-breeds-do-you-recommend-for-warm-climates/

A recent question from one of our blog readers was:
    I live in the Deep South and I am wondering which breed of chickens would best tolerate the heat and humidity? I am looking for layers, that produce well year round.
    For a hot climate, we recommend the Leghorns and Minorcas, which are Mediterranean breeds. These lighter weight chickens tolerate the heat well and are good layers.
    Heavier, dual purpose breeds that can handle the heat well are Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, and Turkens. Many people have also had success with Barred Rocks(Barred Plymouth Rocks).
    I live in S. Texas where it gets up to 100+ in the summer. I raise Australorps, EEs, Speckled Sussex, and Barred Rocks. Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by