Which chicken is better? Welsummers, Marans, or Barnevelders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Karen09, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    In the spring, I am planning on trying a couple of these chickens. I have pure-bred Ameraucanas, pure-bred Silkies, Easter Eggers, Chanteclers and Wyandottes. I live in Western NY so we tend to have lovely snow, cold and wind in the winter and then lovely dry or rain with more wind in the summer. This is why my chickens have the smaller combs and wattles. I would like to have some dark egg layers for next year. I am not looking for the top of the line dark egg layers. I am already working with 2 different types of pure-breds that are away from the Easter Eggers, Chanteclers and Wyandottes. I just want the dark eggs. So I am wondering which of the 3 darker egg layers are more friendly, cold hardy and nice to have in the barnyard. I know the more you work with them, the more friendly they are but some breeds are skittish. I have read some information and the welsummers seem to be the one that is friendlier and more apt to handle the cold. Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you want dark eggs, forget about Barnevelders.

Now for cold hardiness and such - Go for Marans. Welsummers are also nice too, but if you're looking for a good beautiful egg, a tame and quiet bird, and cold hardiness - Marans I'd definitely recommend! [​IMG]

Also, Marans have more color variations, so you can throw a little more color in your flock too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by