1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which chicken is laying my egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zackcesati, Nov 16, 2015.

1. zackcesati

zackcesati Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Northeastern MA
    Hi everyone, I just got a nice brown speckled egg and I don't know who laid it. I have an Australirp, Barred Rock, Welsummer, Silver-Laced Wyandotte and 2 Ameracuanas.
    Thanks, Zack!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    What color is the base shell color and the speckling? Knee jerk reaction would be welsummer as prime candidate for speckling, but really any of your birds could lay a speckled egg, including the ameraucanas if they are hatchery birds as they are likely easter eggers rather than true ameraucana

3. zackcesati

zackcesati Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Northeastern MA
    base is a light brown speckles is dark brown

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe if you see which of the hens is squatting (mating position) when you approach them it may give you an indication as to who is doing the laying (thats assuming that the remainder of your flock has not yet started squatting). Maybe give it a try at least.

CT

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    When I had hatchery Barred Rocks years ago the laid a light brown with speckles. The Welsummer is known for speckled eggs but also darker base color. Being hatchery birds you really can't guess which laid it.

This weekend when your home just walk out and look who goes to the nest when you hear the egg song.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had some gold wynadotte mixes that laid speckled eggs.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Yep, birds not bred for shell color are a crap shoot. Two of my hatchery welsummers lay reasonably dark eggs, one with lots of "freckling" (smaller spots than speckling, lol)....the third lays a shade similar to my wyandottes on a good day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by