WHICH CHICKEN IS THAT ONE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkieRaiser, Oct 11, 2016.

1. silkieRaiser

silkieRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    hi everyone,
    My chickens are only about 2 months old and I already can't tell them apart. They are constantly growing and changing and I can't find a reliable way to tell them apart. Are poultry tags ok for chickens? If so, how do I put them on and will it hurt the chicken if her legs grow so much that her leg grows right into them. Do they grow as your chickens do?

2. Clark Fowl Fans

Clark Fowl Fans Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    I bought some leg tags at farm n fleet, but wouldn't recommend them because they have wire ends that can be pokey. Recently found plastic bands (think carnival wrist bands, but sturdier) at a local chicken store. :)

3. Clark Fowl Fans

Clark Fowl Fans Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    You have to watch the sizing as they grow & may need to replace several times before their legs reach full size

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I use regular old zip ties. I change them out maybe every month for the first few months, then just keep an eye on them as they continue to grow.

Trick is to put them on as loose as possible at first. Check and see if it will slip down off the foot--you want it almost able to do that, but just 2 clicks tighter. That will give you more time before they start outgrowing it.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  6. silkieRaiser

silkieRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone. Hopefully I will soon be able to figure out which one pecks me the most so I can train her to be civil!

7. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I had a problem telling my buff orpingtons apart when they were little. If you listen very closely, you'll find out that each bird has different vocalizations and mannerisms. After a few months I was able to tell which bird was which just by the noises they made. You'll also start to notice feather patterns and comb differences.

If you go the leg band route, heed the advice given...watch them very closely. A neighbor of mine put a leg band (clear zip tie) on one of his and "forgot" about it...and the leg grew around the band and was pretty badly deformed. He only noticed when she developed severe limping, and then found the band that was overgrown with skin. Pretty nasty thing to deal with and he felt really bad that he forgot about putting it on. We did manage to get it removed and she healed up ok after time, but the leg was never the same.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by