Which chicken laid the egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tananaBrian, Oct 18, 2011.

1. tananaBrian

tananaBrian Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Hi,

Can anyone here tell by color which type of chicken laid which egg?

[​IMG]

Our (only) golden comet started laying a couple of weeks ago and initial eggs were much like the one on the left ...slightly darker and weighed 40 grams each. Now they are usually like the one in the middle ...similar darker color but averaging 48 grams now. We've got two buff orpingtons and a cherry egger too, and one buffie's comb is large/red and looks like she's mature enough to lay and the cherry egger is pretty close. The second buffie has a smaller pinkish comb and doesn't look ready. I've seen the mature buffie sitting in the nest ...but someone's laying eggs on the floor of the coop and outside in the sand ...I'm sure it's the buffie. What puzzles me (always too analytical) is that the 64 gram lighter colored egg above is interesting ...too big for the one buffie who's just getting started (40g eggs), and far larger and lighter in color than what the golden comet's been laying (names are "Comet" and "McMuffin" for those interested) ...Can anyone here tell by color/size who laid which egg? Just say no, I know... but I thought I'd ask. I suppose there's an outside chance that the cherry egger laid it, but she hasn't laid yet that I know of, so an XL coming from her would be a double surprise... Anyway ...just thought I'd ask. The eggs have all been beautiful (we're first timers w/chickens) so far ...bright healthy chickens, strong healthy shells on the eggs, firm yolks and whites. And the chickens (4 total) are so tame that they even follow the cat around when she's prowling outside the chicken run ...silly birds!

Brian

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Don't go by averages when they start. My BR laid 4 eggs in her first week (including yesterday), they were all around 46-48 grams. Today she laid a 68 gram egg! I know it was her, I was standing there waiting for her to finish.

Deb

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    One of my girls laid xl eggs from her very second egg (the first one was a soft shell). I didn't weigh them, but I'm going by how they fit in the carton. And she laid every day for two months, skipped two days, then laid every day for another two months.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  4. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    I will say that the lighter one looks like my Buff Orps egg, it is a light pinkish brown. Also my EE has laid huge eggs from the start and is very consistent.. 6 days on, one day off.. and shes been laying for about a month or so. My orp is pretty consistent too.

5. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have three girls of the same breed, and those three eggs in your pic look just like the ones I get every morning. There's always one light one, one medium tinted one, and one darker one. :)

I also always get one small, one medium sized, and one large as well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  6. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have two Cherry Eggers that are both laying and their eggs are much lighter than my Golden Comets. The egg color looks like coffee with a lot of cream in it. I love the color, because I was expecting more of a typical brown from the Cherry Eggers.

7. tananaBrian

tananaBrian Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    As it turns out, the big egg was a double-yolker and I'm fairly certain, based on what has been stated in this thread, that it must've been the buff orpington that laid it. It's about her 4th egg, and she only lays one every 2nd day or so right now ...and I think it's been 2 or 2-1/2 days before the big egg showed up that she laid her last one. I think she's still sorting out her plumbing. The first 3 eggs that she laid were found on the floor of the coop or outside on the run, and each one had an extra big poop right next to it ...but I've seen her trying to lay in the nests as well ...just not successfully yet until this XL double-yolker showed up. She was saving the best for last [​IMG] 40g ...40g ...40g ... ... 64g double!

The comet lays an egg a day and they are getting bigger week over week...

The other two are still 'eaters' not 'layers'... 28 (or 29?) weeks old right now (all 4 are).

Thanks,
    Brian

8. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    We've had a few 67 - 68g eggs lately from one of ours, but all have been single yolkers. I long for a double yolker! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by