Which chicken laid this?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ediclyne, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ediclyne

ediclyne New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    Hi -
    Ignorant newbie back again with part 2 or our three new hens saga. So new flock and old flock seem to be getting on much better these days, but still no joy at getting the three new hens into the coop, and no sign of any eggs. Or so I thought. Just went out to collect my eggs and heard an egg song going on - coming from the newbie crowd. And I had three eggs (only normally get two a day) and one was (still warm) and looks a bit different. Typically our eggs are a rich brown, shiny and smooth, but this one is a bit smaller (and significantly lighter weight) lighter brown and speckled green. Is there a chance this egg came from a barred rock, ameracauna or black star? Do I have a right to smile or is this just one of the old brood gone back to lay a second egg that's not quite the same quality? Photo below. Thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I'd say that it came from your Ameraucana. Pullet eggs are generally smaller than normal eggs, but will get bigger the more they lay.

3. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    Quote:x2

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi-

It's kind of hard to tell the color, but if you say it has some green tint to it, then it very well could be from your Ameraucana. Do you know if you have the true Ameraucana or the EE? When I purchased my Ameraucana from the Meyer Hatchery, they were actually EEs, but who cares! They're beautiful anyhow. One lays a pale, olive green egg, and the other two lay a sea-foam green, almost pale blue egg. Now, the true Ameraucana will lay a nice, pale blue egg. My Ameraucanas--er, I mean EEs (somebody will correct me for sure if they see this haha) are very good layers of a medium sized egg, and they lay almost every day.

Congrats on the new layer!

5. ediclyne

ediclyne New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    You're fuelling my optimism folks....except - the AMERAUCANA (or EE, not sure at all really) is no pullet. The eggs next to it are from pullets and my black star (at least I *think* it's a black star lol) is. The quandry continues!! The flecks are green. Gosh darnit why couldn't it just've been a green egg and then I would've KNOWN it wasn't one from my existing flock!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. ediclyne

ediclyne New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    Maybe if I learned to spell Ameraucana she would be in a better mood too!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by