which chicken lays which egg?

wonder-full chickens

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
I have 7 hens and a rooster who are close to 5 months old and who began laying eggs at 4 months, the day before Christmas.

My 5 Americaunas are easy to distinguish from each other. Also have 2 Rhode Island Reds and an Astralorp.

I want to know which chicken lays which egg.

I know the Reds lay the brown eggs, and they are hard to tell apart by their feathering. That's ok.
Is the Astralorp's the darker brown egg or the slightly pinker egg?

The other eggs from the Americaunas are coming olive green, light lime green, turquoise, and a beautiful blue.

What's the secret to discovering which girls are laying which eggs? I don't have a camera set up.....

Any great suggestions out there?

pot different colored lip-sticks on the bids vent and this should rub off on the egg as it is laid...that or you canput a bird in a cage for a couple days until it lays and then you know...

Research trap nesting boxes. This idea includes a trap door on each box.

I did not wish to bother with that approach and instead, kept close tabs on them one morning. As each bird left the nesting box, I'd go see what was there and associated the egg shape/color with the bird and made a log. It only took a few hours of my time.

Building trap boxes would involve more time and effort.

Fred's Hens :

Research trap nesting boxes. This idea includes a trap door on each box.

I did not wish to bother with that approach and instead, kept close tabs on them one morning. As each bird left the nesting box, I'd go see what was there and associated the egg shape/color with the bird and made a log. It only took a few hours of my time.

Building trap boxes would involve more time and effort.

Then break out ye ole lipstick and start painting vents!​

I wouldn't put lipstick on a chicken...animal rights and all...

But, if you do...remember to leave it with your chicken stuff and don't put it back in your makeup bag!
wink.png

When mine started laying, I would listen for the egg song cackle and run out to see who'd laid. You can also use a medicine dropper to place a drop or two of food coloring into the vent area of a bird/birds you're watching...

Back
Top Bottom