Which Chicken/Which Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amyfitz100, Mar 11, 2014.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have 4 EE hens and 1 Black Java hen. 1 EE has been laying small, light green eggs since January. 1 started laying long green eggs with some white flecks just three days ago. Today, we got a small light green egg, and TWO smallish brown ones. Then later today a big darker green egg. Sooooo, did my Black Java (which I was told would lay brown) lay two eggs, or did one of my EEs lay a brown one? Also, could the same hen lay darker, solid eggs and some flecked with white? And I didn't know that these brown eggs would darken a little...

This was this morning:
    [​IMG]

And this was the same haul this afternoon, including a flecked egg from yesterday (far left), and the solid green one we got this afternoon (far right):
    [​IMG]

Maybe starting to lay eggs is a group thing for my girls -- they all used the same corner of a long nesting box, anyway!

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Easter eggers can lay brownish colored eggs, so it's possible that it's one of your eggers. I've never had a gal lay two in one day.

But I do have 14 layers that stand in line yelling, waiting for their favorite nest box to become available. There are 12 boxes, they use 2 of them.

3. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Hahaha... And today we got two browns again around the same time -- one on each end of the box, so I guess they are definitely from different hens. I was sure wondering!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by