Which chickens fly more?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Easter eggers, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    What are some breeds that fly more?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    Oh my goodness, White leghorn definitely!!!! I have 2 of them and they once almost got up to atleast 12 feet high!

3. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Leghorn!

4. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    My Red Star hens try but they fortunately are not very good at it. They get up on the roof of their coop (it has a slanted shed-type roof) and launch themselves off.....they can't gain any altitude though and flap all the way to the ground. If they could go up they could get over my 4 foot fence, and I'm so glad they don't, every time I think I have all the gaps stopped up I get a text message from my neighbor "you have a chicken out" and I have to go collect a wayward girl from the edge of my street.

I am wanting to add some Dominiques to my flock, are they flyers?

5. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Light breeds. I have EEs, RIRs and a leghorn that can get over the 6ft fence but all the chubby gals/guy (br, wr, slw) are left behind.

I'd say dominiques are too heavy to be good fliers if they are like my barred rocks.

6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    My EEs scream and take a low flight out of the run each day. The rest are heavier breeds; they run, heads forward.

7. FunnyFarmMomma

FunnyFarmMomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    My SS Hamburgs fly up to and roost almost to the rafters of the barn.

Melly

8. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:lighter breeds fly more

9. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have a brown leghorn that flys. I clipped her wing and she could still fly over a 5ft fence. Alittle wobbly but she did it. I put shade cloth on top of the run to solve that.

10. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I found my buff minorca perched atop a 10 ft. fence yesterday, she's amazing. My heavier breeds, especially my LF cochins and wyandottes, are big fatties that have a hard time getting on their roost which is 2.5 ft up! If you are looking for non-flighty birds, go for the heavy breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by